How Much Work Is Needed to Move a Charge Between Two Points?

• Thread starter Avis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the problem involves a point charge of -6.2\muC at point C, with points A and B located 4.8cm and 7.2cm away from it respectively. The distances AC and CB are at right angles. The first question is asking for the amount of work required to move a 2.0x10^-12C charge from A to B. The second question asks for the potential difference between points A and B. After working on the problem for half an hour, it is mentioned that the equation V=kq/r was attempted but did not work.
Avis

Homework Statement

Points A and B are 4.8cm and 7.2cm away from a point charge of -6.2[tex]\mu[/tex]C at point C. AC and CB are at right angles.

a. How much work must be done in moving a 2.0x10^-12C charge from A to B
b. what is the potential difference between points A and B?

Ive been working at this problem with a friend for about a half hour. I have No idea what to do. Everything we tried failed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would answer b) first.

i tried that.. but maby iwas using the wrong equation. Which equation should i be using?

The one which tells you the potential at distance r from a charge Q

so V=kq/r. I tried this. It did not work.

1. What is the concept of moving a charge from A to B in "Stumped"?

In "Stumped", the concept of moving a charge from A to B refers to the process of transferring an electric charge from one location to another.

2. How is this concept relevant in the field of science?

This concept is relevant in the field of science because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of electric charges, which play a crucial role in many scientific disciplines such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. What factors affect the movement of a charge from A to B?

The movement of a charge from A to B is affected by several factors such as the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the two locations, and the presence of any external forces or obstacles.

4. How can we calculate the energy required to move a charge from A to B?

The energy required to move a charge from A to B can be calculated using the equation E = qV, where E is the energy in joules, q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the potential difference between the two locations in volts.

5. What are some real-life applications of moving a charge from A to B?

Some real-life applications of moving a charge from A to B include the use of batteries to power electronic devices, the transmission of electricity through power lines, and the operation of electric motors in various machines and vehicles.