Point on Vector - Learn Maths Basics

In summary, x A is the initial point, xB is the terminal point, t is the value that holds the values 0 at xA and 1 at xB, and x is the point the vector crosses when the person is in the line of sight.
frogtag
Hi,
This may seem very basic, but it's been a few years since i did A-level maths!
I'm trying to remember how to work out if a point falls on a vector? I can't remember any of the terms so any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi frogtag! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Well, if you have the equation for a line, and you want to know whether (3,5,6) lies on it, just put 3 5 and 6 into the equation and see if it works.

(Or did you mean something else? … if so, give an example :wink:)

Thank you tiny-tim,

Taking the idea of an equation ... I reseached this:

Two points A & B, with a directional vector of AB.
Point ? is the potential bisecting point

x? = xA - (xB)t
y? = yA - (yB)t
z? = zA - (zB)t

The way I see it, (only using x for simplicity) xA is the initial point of the vector and xB is the terminal point. t is a value that holds the values 0 at xA and 1 at xB. Now if x? is on the vector then when you work out the maths then 0 =< t =< 1?

Can anyone clarify this for me please

Hi frogtag! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
frogtag said:
… The way I see it, (only using x for simplicity) xA is the initial point of the vector and xB is the terminal point. t is a value that holds the values 0 at xA and 1 at xB. Now if x? is on the vector then when you work out the maths then 0 =< t =< 1?

Those equations aren't quite right …

you need x = txA + (1 - t)xB etc …

(this is the parametric equation of the line, with of course t as the parameter)

so at t = 0, x = xA, and at t = 1, x = xB :smile:

Too say I'm rusty is an understatement!

Using x = txA + (1 - t)xB

surely when t = 0, x = xB not x = xA?

at t = 0 ...

0 * xA = 0 and this is canceled out, but (1 - 0) = 1 and 1 * xB = xB, so x = xB?

at t = 1 ...

1 * xA = 1, but (1 - 1) = 0 and 0 * xB = 0, this part is canceled out leaving x = xA?

I'm guessing I'm not grasping this concept properly!

Also I'm thinking i have to solve the equation to separate t, ie (simple equation example)

5 = t*9

5 / 9 = t

t = 0.5 reocc.

Like this but with the equation you sent?

Last edited:
frogtag said:
when t = 0, x = xB not x = xA?

yes, i wrote it the wrong way round! :redface:
Also I'm thinking i have to solve the equation to separate t, ie (simple equation example)

5 = t*9

5 / 9 = t

t = 0.5 reocc.

Like this but with the equation you sent?

I'm not sure what you're trying to solve, but whatever it is, yes, you solve by getting all the t on one side. :smile:

This equation will be for a computer AI program. The idea I have is that the vector represents a characters line of sight. Point A in the person. Point B is where they can see to. Now I want to be able to test to see if another person crosses the vector/the line of sight. Now using the equation:

x = txA + (1 - t)xB

xA is the person.
xB is the furthest point of sight.
x is the person crossing the vector.

The only variable I have left is t, so what i need to do is isolate t so that i can test its value to see if it's within the ranges of 0 to 1 and thus within the person line of sight.

Just having difficulty with the equation. More than willing to do the hard work if you could point me in the right direction?

This is what I've got so far...

1 - ( x - (txA) / xB ) = t

not great ... and probably not right?!

Last edited:
frogtag said:
This equation will be for a computer AI program. The idea I have is that the vector represents a characters line of sight. Point A in the person. Point B is where they can see to. Now I want to be able to test to see if another person crosses the vector/the line of sight …

I don't get it. :confused:

Is x stationary, or is x a line?

(and do these characters only see dead-ahead of themselves?)

If x is a line, it will need another parametric equation (with a parameter u, say, instead of t), and then you can ask whether the two lines cross.

Is x stationary, or is x a line?

Because its a computer program I have to use timed intervals to check on the position of x to see where it is. It's like taking a film of a ball moving and checking each frame to see where the ball is. So x will be considered a staionary point.

(and do these characters only see dead-ahead of themselves?)

For the moment yes. The process I'm taking is to develop the visual parameters bit by bit. For this moment, version 1.0, my basic visual parameter is a single line of sight from the person to a set point directly ahead of them. The next versions will see detection of a point within a fan. Then expanding to peripheral vision, so several fans, etc... I think its better to crawl before I walk!

I looked at my old equation and saw I made a mistake. It should have read:

x = xA + (xB-xA)t

will this work instead of

x = txA + (1 - t)xB

because I don't understand the concept of your equation. Mine seems more simple, and with it there is only one t and I'm able to isolating it, as such:

x - xA
------- = t
xB - xA

then, the way I see it, if the t value is the same for x, y and z equations, then point [x,y,z] will sit on the vector/line?

frogtag said:
I looked at my old equation and saw I made a mistake. It should have read:

x = xA + (xB-xA)t

will this work instead of

x = txA + (1 - t)xB

Yes, they're the same. :smile:
x - xA
------- = t
xB - xA

then, the way I see it, if the t value is the same for x, y and z equations, then point [x,y,z] will sit on the vector/line?

oh i see what you mean …

yes, if (x - xA)/(xB - xA) = (y - yA)/(yB - yA) = (z - zA)/(zB - zA),

and if that value is between 0 and 1,

then (x,y,z) lies between A and B :smile:

Marvellous. Thank you kindly for your help Tiny-Tim, you're a star! :biggrin:

1. What is a point on a vector?

A point on a vector refers to a specific location or coordinate on a vector. It is represented by an ordered pair of numbers, typically denoted as (x, y) in two-dimensional space or (x, y, z) in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you find a point on a vector?

To find a point on a vector, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as the starting point (or initial point). You can then use trigonometric functions and basic geometry principles to determine the coordinates of the point.

3. Can a point be located anywhere on a vector?

No, a point on a vector must lie along the line segment defined by the vector. In other words, it must be located between the initial point and the terminal point of the vector.

4. How is a point on a vector different from a vector?

A point on a vector is a specific location on the vector, while a vector represents both the magnitude and direction of a quantity. A vector can be visualized as an arrow, while a point is a single dot on that arrow.

5. Why is it important to understand points on vectors in mathematics?

Points on vectors are crucial in many mathematical concepts, such as geometry, trigonometry, and vector algebra. They allow us to visualize and represent quantities in both two and three-dimensional space, and are essential in solving problems related to displacement, velocity, and acceleration.