1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point symmetry generators

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    I am taking a first course in Lie algebras and currently working with this problem (see attached file). I understand that the product of the two operators should be regarded as composition. How to explain the final expression?
    Regards
    Staffan

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Haven't you tried just doing the computation? That's how you learn mathematics- not just by looking at formula and expecting to understand them, but by actually doing the calculations!

You are given that
    [tex]Z_j= \xi_j(x,u)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+ \chi_j(x,u)\frac{\partial}{\partial u}[/tex]
    for j= 1 and 2. In other words, the difference between Z1 and Z2 is the functions multiplying the derivatives.

If f is any function of x and u (any reason for using x and u instead of x and y?) then
    [tex]Z_1 Z_2(f)= \xi_1(x,u)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+ \chi_1(x,u)\frac{\partial}{\partial u}[ \xi_2(x,u)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \chi_2(x,u)\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}][/tex]
    [tex]= \xi_1(x,u)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\xi_2(x,u)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \chi_2(x,u)\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}]+ \chi_j(x,u)\frac{\partial}{\partial u}[\xi_2(x,u)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \chi_2(x,u)\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}][/tex]
    [tex]= \xi_1\xi_2\frac{\partial^2 f}+ \xi_1 \frac{\partial \xi_2}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

Finish that, then do the same for [itex]Z_2Z_1[/itex] and subtract. All the second derivative terms (those not involving derivatives of [itex]\xi_1[/itex], [itex]\xi_2[/itex], [itex]\chi_1[/itex], or [itex]\chi_2[/itex]) will cancel leaving only first derivative terms.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    Yes, I *have* calculated but I didn't manage to get the 1st derivatives right. Thanks a lot!

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yeah, I hate tedious calculations like that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?