Points of intersection of Parametric Lines

In summary, the two curves P and Q will intersect at two points, (1.25, 1.5) and (2, 3), when solving the equations x=t, y=2t-1 and x=3t-t^2, y=t+1 for the parameters t and s, respectively.
Dramen

Homework Statement

I'm told to find the 2 points the two curves P and Q will intersect on and the parametric equations are:
[tex] P (x=t, y=2t-1)[/tex]
[tex]Q (x=3t-t^2, y=t+1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm supposed to set x-equations and y-equations equal to each and solve so that

[tex]t=3t-t^2[/tex] for x
[tex]2t-1=t+1[/tex] for y

and when I solve them I get [tex]t=0[/tex] and [tex]t=2[/tex] for x
and
[tex]t=2[/tex] for y
the problem is I can't seem to find another t-value for y

Also I'm not completely sure if I can use t interchangeably between the two equations when solving for them or if I should consider the t to be two separate and unique variables like [tex]t_1[/tex] and [tex]t_2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Dramen said:

Homework Statement

I'm told to find the 2 points the two curves P and Q will intersect on and the parametric equations are:
[tex] P (x=t, y=2t-1)[/tex]
[tex]Q (x=3t-t^2, y=t+1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm supposed to set x-equations and y-equations equal to each and solve so that

[tex]t=3t-t^2[/tex] for x
[tex]2t-1=t+1[/tex] for y

and when I solve them I get [tex]t=0[/tex] and [tex]t=2[/tex] for x
and
[tex]t=2[/tex] for y
the problem is I can't seem to find another t-value for y

Also I'm not completely sure if I can use t interchangeably between the two equations when solving for them or if I should consider the t to be two separate and unique variables like [tex]t_1[/tex] and [tex]t_2[/tex]

That is the problem. You can't assume the curves cross for the same value of the parameters. So call one parameter ##t## and the other ##s## and try setting the ##x## values and ##y## values equal.

I did just that quite a while ago when my instructor had hinted at that idea and this is what I came up with

[tex]t=3s-s^2[/tex]
[tex]t=s(3-s)[/tex]
so that for x t=s and t=3-s
so that any same two values fit in the first equality(?) and only 1.5 solves the equality in the second

for y it is
[tex]2t-1=s+1[/tex]
[tex]2t=s+2[/tex]
so that for y t=2 and s=2

I'm still not sure how to find a second point of intersection. Since the first point is (1.5,2)?

Dramen said:
I did just that quite a while ago when my instructor had hinted at that idea and this is what I came up with

[tex]\color{red}{t=3s-s^2}[/tex]
[tex]t=s(3-s)[/tex]
so that for x t=s and t=3-s
so that any same two values fit in the first equality(?) and only 1.5 solves the equality in the second

for y it is
[tex]\color{red}{2t-1=s+1}[/tex]
[tex]2t=s+2[/tex]
so that for y t=2 and s=2

I'm still not sure how to find a second point of intersection. Since the first point is (1.5,2)?

Ignoring the other bad logic, you have two equations in two unknowns. Solve them correctly.

I'm no good when trying to solve for 2 unknowns algebraically like this, because first thought is to substitute [tex]t=3s-s^2[/tex] into [tex]2t-1=s+1[/tex] but that won't work. And by graph for the first equation t=s=0 or 2 and the second t=s=2

Dramen said:
I'm no good when trying to solve for 2 unknowns algebraically like this, because first thought is to substitute [tex]t=3s-s^2[/tex] into [tex]2t-1=s+1[/tex] but that won't work.

Yes it will. Try it.

ok I did that so that [tex]2(3s-s^2)-1=s+1[/tex]
setting it to 0 gives me [tex]-2s^2+5s-2=0[/tex]
and solving for that I get s=1/2 and s=2

then I plug those answers into [tex]t=3s-s^2[/tex]
so that t=1.25 and t=2

so then my points of intersection are at
P (1.25,1.5) and (2,3)
Q (1.25,1.5) and (2,3)

Last edited:
So check your work. Do your s and t values work in their equations? If so, do the two curves go through those two points for the corresponding values of s and t?

Yep I checked it and the numbers work.
Thanks for the nudges in the right direction.

1. What are parametric lines?

Parametric lines are lines that are defined by equations that use one or more parameters. These parameters represent a variable value that can be changed to generate different points on the line.

2. How do you find the points of intersection of two parametric lines?

To find the points of intersection of two parametric lines, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the values of the parameters. These values can then be substituted into either of the original equations to find the coordinates of the points of intersection.

3. Can parametric lines intersect at more than one point?

Yes, parametric lines can intersect at more than one point. This can happen when the equations for the lines have multiple solutions for the parameters that satisfy the equations being equal to each other.

4. What is the significance of the points of intersection of parametric lines?

The points of intersection of parametric lines represent the coordinates where the two lines meet or cross each other. These points can be used to determine relationships between the two lines, such as whether they are parallel, perpendicular, or if they intersect at a specific angle.

5. How are parametric lines used in real-world situations?

Parametric lines can be used to model and analyze various real-world situations, such as the motion of objects in physics or the trajectory of a projectile. They can also be used in computer graphics to create and manipulate 3D objects, and in engineering to design and optimize systems and structures.