How can Poisson's equation be solved when the constant term is nonzero?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the equation ##f_{xx}+f_{yy} = c## where ##c \neq 0## is a constant, you can start by letting ##f(x,y) = u(x,y)+\Psi(x)## and plugging that into the DE and boundary conditions. This will result in a homogeneous system in ##u##, which can be solved once you find ##\Psi(x)## that satisfies ##\Psi''(x) = c## and the given boundary conditions. Then the solution is given by ##f(x,y)=u(x,y)+\Psi(x)##.
member 428835

Homework Statement

##f_{xx}+f_{yy} = c## where ##c \neq 0## is a constant.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried separating but obviously this fails since the constant term has mixed variables after separating. I can solve the homogenous equation where ##c=0## but was wondering what happens if ##c \neq 0##.

I should say this isn't homework but I didn't know where else to put it. I didn't give any boundary conditions because I'm just curious of the technique to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

##f_{xx}+f_{yy} = c## where ##c \neq 0## is a constant.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried separating but obviously this fails since the constant term has mixed variables after separating. I can solve the homogenous equation where ##c=0## but was wondering what happens if ##c \neq 0##.

I should say this isn't homework but I didn't know where else to put it. I didn't give any boundary conditions because I'm just curious of the technique to solve.
Here's the idea. Let's say you have ##f_{xx}+f_{yy} = h(x)## and at couple of NH boundary conditions ##f(0,y) = a,~f(L,y) = b## (a little more complicated than your example). You would start by letting ##f(x,y) = u(x,y)+\Psi(x)##. Plugging that into the DE and boundary conditions gives$$
u_{xx} +\Psi''(x) + u_{yy} = h(x)$$ $$
u(0,y) + \Psi(0) = a,~u(L,y)+\Psi(L) = b$$
Now, if you can find ##\Psi(x)## satisfying ##\Psi''(x) = h(x),~\Psi(0)=a,~\Psi(L) = b## you would be left with a homogeneous system in ##u##:$$
u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0, ~u(0,y) = u(L,y)=0$$And the ##\Psi(x)## equation can be solved by integrating twice giving two constants to take care of the ##a## and ##b##. Then you solve the homogeneous ##u## system and your anwer is ##f(x,y)=u(x,y)+\Psi(x)##.

Likes member 428835
Perfect, just what I was looking for!

What is Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of electric potential in a region with a given distribution of electric charge.

What is the significance of Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's Equation is significant because it is a fundamental tool in electrostatics and is used to solve many practical problems in engineering and physics.

What is the general form of Poisson's Equation?

The general form of Poisson's Equation is ∇^2V = -ρ/ε_0, where ∇^2 is the Laplace operator, V is the electric potential, ρ is the charge density, and ε_0 is the permittivity of free space.

What are some applications of Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's Equation has many applications, including calculating the electric potential of a charge distribution, determining the electric field strength, and solving boundary value problems in electrostatics.

How is Poisson's Equation related to Laplace's Equation?

Poisson's Equation is a more general form of Laplace's Equation, which describes the electric potential in the absence of any charge. Laplace's Equation is a special case of Poisson's Equation where the charge density, ρ, is equal to zero.