Poker Dice Probability Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the assigned problem of computing the probabilities of certain outcomes in a game of Poker dice. The speaker presented their solution attempt, which involved using combination and permutation formulas to determine the number of ways the specified outcome could occur. However, they made a mistake in their reasoning and their final answer was twice the correct value. After receiving some hints and guidance, the speaker was able to understand and correct their mistake, ultimately arriving at the correct solution.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The assigned problem:

Poker dice is played by simultaneously rolling 5 dice. Compute the probabilities of the following outcomes:

b) two pairs (aabbc, with a, b, c distinct; answer: 0.2315)

My solution attempt:

Let E be the event specified. The number of ways it can occur is given by:

[tex] {6 \choose 1} {5 \choose 1} {4 \choose 1} \cdot \frac{5!}{2!2!1!} [/tex]

= 6*5*4*(120/4) = 120*30 = 3600

[tex] P(E) = \frac{3600}{6^5} = 0.4630 [/tex]

Explanation of my solution: I considered aabbc to be a multiset with 3 distinct elements: a, b, and c. a and b just happen to have multiplicity 2. So, [itex] {6 \choose 1} [/itex] is the number of ways of choosing a from the original six possible numbers. [itex] {5 \choose 1} [/itex] is the number of ways of choosing b from the remaining five possible numbers. [itex] {4 \choose 1} [/itex] is the number of ways of choosing c from the remaining four possible numbers. Now that I have chosen the 3 distinct elements, how many ways are there to permute them? For a set of five distinct numbers, there would be 5! ways. But, two of the numbers are repeated once each, and permutation with repeated elements is given by the formula I used. Another way of expressing it (and one that I understand better) is that this is the multinomial coefficient: it expresses the number of ways of choosing a position out of five for each of our three elements (two of which have multiplicity 2) when you don't care in what order they occupy those positions.

Problems with my solution:

i) The obvious one is that my answer is twice the one given by the professor. In fact, 0.4630 is the answer he gave for part c), the probability of getting only one pair.

ii) The fault, I believe, lies with me. For when I attempted to use this same method for part c) (probability of getting only one pair), I ended up with more possible desired outcomes than there were outcomes in the sample space!

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint:
you double count something, let's say
case 1) a=1,b=2,c=3...
case 2) a=2,b=1,c=3...
what is the different(if any) between these two case??

Thank you for the hint. However, it only tells me that I have made a mistake, not what specific error in my reasoning has led to that mistake. The problem is that my reasoning makes perfect sense to me, so it is impossible for me to deviate from it without outside help. In other words, I'm stuck. Could somebody please tell me what the specific error in my explanation paragraph was, and how it can be remedied? Thanks.

hint:
if a and b are interchangeable... we are doing combination of a and b, not permutation...
once you have the answer of permutation... how do you correct it into combination?

I got it...a and b are interchangeable because both are pairs of numbers, so although outcomes with c in a different place are different, outcomes with a and b interchanged are indistinguishable. To answer your question, divide by 2! in this case because:

[tex] {6 \choose 1}{5 \choose 1} = \ \ _{6}P_{2} [/tex]

and we actually want

[tex] _{6}C_{2} [/tex]

Thanks for the help.

What is the "Poker Dice Probability Problem"?

The Poker Dice Probability Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the probability of getting certain hands in a game of poker using five six-sided dice instead of playing cards. This problem is often used as a teaching tool to help students understand the concept of probability.

What are the possible outcomes in the Poker Dice Probability Problem?

There are a total of 6^5 = 7,776 possible outcomes in the Poker Dice Probability Problem. This is because each of the five dice has six possible outcomes (numbers 1-6), and there are five dice in the game.

What is the probability of getting a "Full House" in the Poker Dice Probability Problem?

The probability of getting a "Full House" in the Poker Dice Probability Problem is 0.0385802, or approximately 3.86%. This is calculated by dividing the number of possible "Full House" outcomes (300) by the total number of possible outcomes (7,776).

How does the probability of getting a "Full House" compare to other poker hands in the Poker Dice Probability Problem?

The probability of getting a "Full House" is higher than getting a "Four of a Kind" (0.0007716) or a "Straight Flush" (0.0001543), but lower than getting a "Three of a Kind" (0.1543209) or a "Two Pairs" (0.0385802). However, it is important to note that the probability of getting a specific hand depends on the specific rules and scoring system used in the game.

How can the Poker Dice Probability Problem be applied in real life?

The Poker Dice Probability Problem can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as in the insurance industry to calculate the probability of certain events occurring, in finance to assess investment risks, and in gaming to determine the odds of winning a particular hand. It can also be used as a tool to improve decision-making skills and critical thinking abilities.