1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinate integration in different planes?

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    I know that when you are integrated over dA in the xy plane, for your polar coordinates, x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. However what about in the xz and yz plane?

I noticed in one of the textbook problems, where the integration is over an area in the xz plane, x = rcosθ and z = rsinθ. How did the solution know to use that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    What do you mean? Why would xy and xz-planes be any different? You can get xz-plane from xy-plane by just a simple rotation

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    If you integrate over some polar area in the xy plane you find that x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. but let's say instead of integrating over the xy plane, we integrate over the yz plane then what are y and z in terms of r and θ?

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4
    Well, how do you define r and θ? I'm guessing r is the distance, so r=√(x2+z2) and θ is some angle, but what exactly is it?

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r, theta polar coordinates are for the plane only. If you have a three-dimensional problem to analyze, then spherical coordinates (r, theta, phi) would be called for.

The conversion of polar coordinates (r, theta) to Cartesian (x, y), where x = r cos theta, y = r sin theta, is just simple trigonometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted