1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volume in Polar Coordinates

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the wedge-shaped region contained in the cylinder x^2+y^2=9 bounded by the plane z=x and below by the xy plane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So it seems a common theme for me I have a hard time finding the limits of integration for the dθ term when I integrate in polar coordinates.

For this integral I am setting it up
    triple integral rdzdrdθ where dr is between 0 and 3, dz is between 0 and rcosθ and dθ is between 0 and 2∏? is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to be careful with this one. There's no substitute (AFAIK) for visualising the region. Pay particular attention to the fact that it says below by the XY plane. That imposes a bound on z, and hence on theta.

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    does theta go from 0 to 45 since z=x it will create a 45 degree angle? dr between 0 and 3, and dz between 0 and rcos(theta)?

5. Nov 2, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show us a picture of what you have for the region.

6. Nov 2, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Theta is an angle in the XY plane, so is not directly related to z = x.
    If 0 <= z <= x and x = r cos θ and r > 0, what is the range of possible values for theta?

7. Nov 3, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why should one use cylinder coordinates here to begin with?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted