Polar Coordinates and finding points

In summary: Remember what (1, 1), etc. mean in polar coordinates. The pair of numbers corresponding to a point gives the r and \theta values: (r, \theta). Saying that \theta= 1 means that r, the first number in each pair, can be anything at all while \theta, the second number, must be 1. If you had, instead, the equation \theta= 3, that would correspond to pairs (in polar coordinates) of (r, 3) where r can be any number. The first number is "arbitrary" because your equation does not mention r; r can be anything. Similarly, if you had an equation that said
kylera
This is an example problem that I can't understand how the answer came out to be this way:
Q: Sketch the polar curve [tex]\Theta[/tex] = 1.
A: A picture of a line that goes diagonal with points that go (1, 1) (2, 1) (3, 1) etc.

I do understand that if the angle is 1, then the line is such that it's 1 radian above the polar axis. What I do NOT understand is how the points come out to be that way. Are those arbitrary numbers, or can I give random numbers? Supposing there was another question like that had a value of 3 instead of 1 for angle, would the points be (1, 3) (2, 3) etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
kylera said:
This is an example problem that I can't understand how the answer came out to be this way:
Q: Sketch the polar curve [tex]\Theta[/tex] = 1.
A: A picture of a line that goes diagonal with points that go (1, 1) (2, 1) (3, 1) etc.

I do understand that if the angle is 1, then the line is such that it's 1 radian above the polar axis. What I do NOT understand is how the points come out to be that way. Are those arbitrary numbers, or can I give random numbers? Supposing there was another question like that had a value of 3 instead of 1 for angle, would the points be (1, 3) (2, 3) etc?
Yes, that is correct. Remember what (1, 1), etc. mean in polar coordinates. The pair of numbers corresponding to a point gives the r and [itex]\theta[/itex] values: [itex](r, \theta)[/itex]. Saying that [itex]\theta= 1[/itex] means that r, the first number in each pair, can be anything at all while [itex]\theta[/itex], the second number, must be 1. If you had, instead, the equation [itex]\theta= 3[/itex], that would correspond to pairs (in polar coordinates) of (r, 3) where r can be any number. The first number is "arbitrary" because your equation does not mention r; r can be anything. Similarly, if you had an equation that said r= 1, then you would have a curve containing the points (1, 0), (1, 2), etc. (which would be a circle with center at the origin and radius 1.)

(I will confess that I had started writing "No, that's completely wrong!" because I was automatically thinking that the points (1, 1), (2, 1), etc. were given in Cartesian (x, y) coordinates! Of course, in Cartesian coordinates, (1, 1), (2, 1), etc. would lie on the line y= 1.)

Right! Correct me if I'm wrong, this means that given the fixed angle, the 'r' value is any value that places distance between it and the origin, right?

Yes, that is correct.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system used to represent points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line.

2. How do I convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, use the equations x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle from the reference line.

3. How do I find the distance between two points using polar coordinates?

To find the distance between two points in polar coordinates, use the formula d = sqrt((r2)^2 + (r1)^2 - 2r1r2cos(theta2 - theta1)), where r1 and r2 are the distances from the origin and theta1 and theta2 are the angles from the reference line for the two points.

4. What is the reference line in polar coordinates?

The reference line in polar coordinates is the polar axis, which is typically drawn horizontally and represents the 0 degree angle.

5. How do I plot points in polar coordinates?

To plot a point in polar coordinates, first determine the distance from the origin and the angle from the reference line. Then, starting from the origin, measure the distance and rotate the angle to plot the point on the polar plane.