1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar to cartesian using e(theta) and e(r)

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-1-9_10-28-40.png

2. Relevant equations
    NONE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to understand why the unit vector in the y direction is that formula. I get that e(theta) and e(r) are unit vectors used with polar coordinates that define direction and are perpendicular to each other always. What I don't get is their relationship with theta to get cartesian unit vectors.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A simple rotation over the angle ##\theta##. Your second picture shows it clearly for ##\bf\hat\jmath##.
    For ##\bf \hat\imath## you see ##e_\theta## points in the negative ##\hat\imath##-direction so you get ##\hat\imath = \cos\theta \; e_r - \sin\theta \; e_\theta##

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you think it should be?

5. Jan 9, 2017 #4
    I don't follow.

I don't know what it should be. I originally thought the j vector was just the projection of e(theta) but that clearly cannot be because both j and e(theta) have length 1. Is there a general relationship that might explain how two perpendicular unit vectors in a plane can somehow form this relationship?

6. Jan 9, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your diagram in post #1 only needs you to read off the sine and cosine components to get this relationship. However, another way is to note that (in Cartesian coordinates):

##j = (0, 1), \ \hat{r} = (\cos \theta, \sin \theta), \ \hat \theta = (-\sin \theta, \cos \theta)##

Then, you simply have to use a bit of vector algebra to express ##j## as a ,linear combination of ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat \theta##.

7. Jan 9, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can check it from the expressions I gave. A rotation preserves vector lengths

8. Jan 9, 2017 #7
    Suppose that ##\theta = 0##. What would j be equal to, ##i_r## or ##i_{\theta}##?

Suppose that ##\theta = 90\ degrees##. What would j be equal to, ##i_r## or ##i_{\theta}##?

9. Jan 9, 2017 #8
    I follow this but I wanted the derivation for it.
    Ok that first part makes sense. How can you at a glance determine that those two vectors r and theta would lineraly combine to form a vector of length 1?

10. Jan 10, 2017 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\hat{r}## and ##\hat \theta## are linearly independent so form a basis (in fact, they form an orthonormal basis). Any vector, therefore, can be expressed as a linear combination of them.

You can use the basic techniques of solving simultaneous equations to get the coefficients. In this case, we look for coefficients ##a, b## such that:

##a \hat{r} + b \hat \theta = j##

Hence

##a(\cos \theta, \sin \theta) + b(-\sin \theta, \cos \theta) = (0, 1)##

Which implies:

##a \cos \theta - b \sin \theta = 0##
    ##a \sin \theta + b \cos \theta = 1##

Which leads to the solution ##a = \sin \theta, \ b = \cos \theta##.

11. Jan 10, 2017 #10
    Just draw a right triangle anywhere in the domain with j as the hypotenuse, and the other two sides parallel to the local ir and itheta. Then determine the lengths of those other two sides.

12. Jan 10, 2017 #11
    Now it makes sense. Thanks!

I see it now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted