Polarization of light through a sugar solution

In summary, when a glass vessel is placed between two crossed HN-50 linear polarizers, with 50% of natural light incident on the first polarizer, the sugar solution in the cell rotates the light passing through the first polarizer by 90 degrees, resulting in 50% of the natural light being transmitted through the second polarizer. This is due to the fact that the polarizers are crossed at right angles, and the sugar solution rotates the polarization plane of the light, allowing for transmission through the second polarizer.
KaiserBrandon

Homework Statement

A glass vessel is placed between a pair of crossed HN-50 linear polarizers, and 50% of the natural light incident on the first polarizer is transmitted through the second polarizer. By how much did the sugar solution in the cell rotate the light passed by the first polarizer.

Homework Equations

[tex]I(\vartheta)=I(0)cos^{2}(\vartheta)[/tex]
where [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the angle between the transmission axes of the polarizers, and I(0) is the irradience incident on the analyzer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a very hard time understanding how HN polarizers work, but here is my stab at the question:
An HN-50 polarizer transmits 50% of natural light incident on it. So If the natural light incident through the first polarizer is I, then I(0)=0.5I. So:
[tex]I(\vartheta)=0.5I*cos^{2}(90+\varphi)=0.5I[/tex]
the 90 is in the cos because the polarizers are crossed, and I'm assuming that means their transmission angles are perpindicular. and [tex]\varphi[/tex] is the angle that the sugar rotates the light. So, [tex]\varphi=-90[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you misunderstood the question. The way I understand it, 50% is the ratio between the intensity of incident light on 1st polarizer & the intensity of light coming out of 2nd polarizer. Both polarizers have the same polarization axis. That is, if there were no sugar solution in between, the light coming out would have the same intensity as incident light. But thanks to the sugar solution which rotates the polarization plane of the beam by some angle, the light coming out has different intensity.
From here, you can work it out, can't you? :wink:

too late, already turned in the assignment. However, I'm pretty sure the light incident on the first polaraizer would be 50% transmitted (since the incident light is natural light with no specific polarization). Without the sugar, no light would go through the polarizer since their axes are crossed (at right angles to each other). So the sugar rotates it 90 degrees so that the light incident on the second polarizer has a polarization parallel to it's axis, and so gets transmitted through completely (so 50% the intensity of the natural light ends up at the end).

What is polarization of light?

Polarization of light refers to the orientation of the electromagnetic waves that make up light. When light is polarized, all of the waves are oriented in the same direction, whereas unpolarized light has waves oriented in all different directions.

How does a sugar solution polarize light?

A sugar solution polarizes light through the process of scattering. When light passes through the sugar molecules in the solution, the molecules cause the light waves to become aligned in a specific direction, resulting in polarized light.

What is the relationship between the concentration of sugar in a solution and the degree of polarization?

The degree of polarization of light passing through a sugar solution is directly proportional to the concentration of sugar in the solution. This means that as the concentration of sugar increases, the degree of polarization also increases.

Why is the polarization of light through a sugar solution important in science?

The polarization of light through a sugar solution has important applications in scientific research and technology. It can be used to analyze the concentration and properties of the sugar solution, and it is also used in polarimeters to measure the concentration of optically active substances in a solution.

Can polarized light be seen with the naked eye?

No, polarized light cannot be seen with the naked eye. It can only be detected and measured using special polarizing filters or instruments, such as polarimeters, that can analyze the orientation of the light waves.