Polarization of polymers under electric field

In summary, a polymer is not going to be stretched or oriented by an electric field, unless it is made up of oppositely charged monomer units.
jollage
Hi,

I'm thinking the following scenario.

I have some solution in a container, where polymers are dissolved inside. If left so, the polymer will be homogeneous in the liquids. Now I add an electric field on the two sides of the container, will the polymers be polarized and stretched? So the orientation of the polymer is basically along the direction of the electric field? And how? Is there a threshold value for the strength of the electric field? And do I need to use some specific polymer which is "polarizable"? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jollage said:
I'm thinking the following scenario.
So, what are your thoughts on the questions you've posed?

Bystander said:
So, what are your thoughts on the questions you've posed?
I want to know if this is possible. I'm afraid the polymer is not polarizable, or a very high electric field is required to polarize the polymer molecules.

Depends on the specific polymer, doesn't it? Have you a specific polymer in mind?

Bystander said:
Depends on the specific polymer, doesn't it? Have you a specific polymer in mind?
Yes, I assume so. That's my question. I don't know which type of polymer should be used. Do you know where I can find this information?

This doesn't seem to be working as far as getting you to think about what you're asking. Everything, with the possible exception of empty space (talk to the QED and QFT crowd) is polarized in any non-zero electric field. You apparently want to orient and stretch a polymer molecule. Ain't going to happen unless you happen to have a polymer with oppositely charged terminal groups. That can probably be done, but the random thermal motion of the intervening chain will completely swamp any effect. There is also the possibility of a polymer in which the monomer units within the chain are not only polarizable, but can also adopt a configuration in which the charged end of one unit is coupled to the oppositely charge end of the next, giving you a long chain of dipoles to align counter to the electric field; however, this is not going to be stretching in the field since there is coiling/folding of the polymer backbone to accommodate the coupling of the electric dipoles.

1. What is the polarization of polymers under electric field?

The polarization of polymers under electric field refers to the alignment of the molecular dipoles in a polymer material when an electric field is applied. This results in the separation of positive and negative charges, creating an overall dipole moment in the material.

2. How does the electric field affect polymer polarization?

The electric field causes the polymer molecules to orient themselves in the direction of the field, resulting in an overall alignment of the dipoles. This alignment increases with the strength of the electric field, leading to a higher degree of polarization.

3. What factors influence the polarization of polymers under electric field?

The degree of polymerization, molecular weight, and chemical structure of the polymer can all impact its polarization under an electric field. Additionally, the strength and direction of the applied electric field, as well as the temperature and surrounding environment, can also affect the polarization.

4. What are some applications of polymer polarization under electric field?

Polymer polarization under electric field has various practical applications, such as in the development of electronic devices, sensors, and actuators. It can also be used in the production of polarizing films for LCD screens and in the creation of artificial muscles for robotics.

5. Can the polarization of polymers under electric field be reversed?

Yes, the polarization of polymers under electric field can be reversed by changing the direction of the applied electric field. This allows for the manipulation and control of the material's properties, making it a valuable tool in the field of polymer science and technology.