Polarized Electron in a Rotating Reference Frame

In summary: The electron's spin axis continues to rotate at the same rate after it's released from the spacecraft.
metastable said:
Is there a method that will cause the vector of the electron's magnetic moment to stop precessing & continuously point in a desired direction?
No, if you’re thinking about an electron and quantum mechanical spin (and look at post #17 above again). Yes, if you’re thinking about a classical charged rotating object like a gyroscope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nugatory said:
No, if you’re thinking about an electron and quantum mechanical spin (and look at post #17 above again).

I'm confused... does that mean that for non-precessing electrons, the vector of the magnetic moment can only take one of 2 values-- up or down... or does it mean the vector could be measured to point in any direction, but I have no way to alter this direction according to my wishes?

This is going nowhere. Please make a choice:

If you want to learn about quantum mechanical spin and precession of electrons in a magnetic field, open a thread about that in the QM forum. Do not include any complications about rotating reference frames.

If you want to learn about rotating reference frames, choose a classical example and open a new thread about that here. Do not include any complications about quantum mechanical objects like electrons.

This thread is closed.