Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Political radio affecting productivity?

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to wonder and thought maybe someone has done a study. Given the popularity of political radio [right, and what little there is of left - NPR?] and given that people are mostly listening to this on the job, I have to wonder how much this might be affecting productivity and employee relations. How can a person focus on their job when they are constantly taunted by radio raving?

Granted, I live in right wing radio land, but I hear this stuff on radios everywhere I go. I do know of companies where it led to personnel issues as some people were being forced to listen to this stuff due to proximity. In a couple of cases it led to official complaints and administrative actions.

I also know that many companies are finally banning computer games and many internet sites. Some years ago I walked the halls of one company and saw Free Cell up on almost every computer! But no more. Should political radio be next?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

At my former employer, radios at work were banned, you're there to work. I loved that rule as I find that the "open office" environment where only the top dogs get an actual private office doesn't work when 30 people all have different stations or cd players going. My mind boggles when I hear all of the people that call into contests are at work, playing games!

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is common to see radios allowed in manufacturing environments. However, in one case where it led to an official complaint, it was a shared cubical setting.

Back when I first started in the industrial environment, radios were common, but the biggest point of contention was whether the radio was set for country, or rock [or in rare cases, religion].

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    I'm routinely in and out of a wide variety of businesses. It's quite common to hear (upbeat) oldies playing in warehouses and light manufacturing - occasionally talk radio in a small office setting. If I had to pick the groups MOST LIKELY to listen to a Conservative talk show - it would be small business owners and people who drive all day (salespersons for instance). I've also noticed FOX News playing in a lot of waiting rooms and executive offices - but I guess that's another thread?

6. Aug 22, 2011 #5
    I'd wager that most public TVs in my area have Fox News on.

The problem with any sort of internet censorship at the corporate level: where do you draw the line? Is the Drudge Report a news site? The Blaze? Huffpo? I'd wager that most places now have actually loosened their belts when it comes to internet filtering site by site, but have alternative blocks in place (ie: blocking Flash/Shockwave and streaming multimedia).

Talk radio, just like any potentially offensive music or other openly audible material, needs to be catered to the surrounding audience. That shouldn't be dictated by specific corporate policy, though, that's a courtesy between coworkers and should be addressed as such.

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6
    Agreed - except for public areas - the business better have a policy of some type.

The standard in public places - even fast food dining rooms - used to be "elevator music" piped in from "Muzak". Now, it seems the cable TV has replaced the music.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook