Political radio affecting productivity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of political radio on productivity and employee relations in the workplace. It brings up the issue of whether or not companies should ban political radio, similar to the banning of computer games and certain internet sites. The conversation also touches on the prevalence of conservative talk radio in certain industries and the issue of internet censorship in the workplace. Overall, it is suggested that listening to any potentially offensive material should be a courtesy among coworkers rather than a company policy.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to wonder and thought maybe someone has done a study. Given the popularity of political radio [right, and what little there is of left - NPR?] and given that people are mostly listening to this on the job, I have to wonder how much this might be affecting productivity and employee relations. How can a person focus on their job when they are constantly taunted by radio raving?

Granted, I live in right wing radio land, but I hear this stuff on radios everywhere I go. I do know of companies where it led to personnel issues as some people were being forced to listen to this stuff due to proximity. In a couple of cases it led to official complaints and administrative actions.

I also know that many companies are finally banning computer games and many internet sites. Some years ago I walked the halls of one company and saw Free Cell up on almost every computer! But no more. Should political radio be next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I have to wonder and thought maybe someone has done a study. Given the popularity of political radio [right, and what little there is of left - NPR?] and given that people are mostly listening to this on the job, I have to wonder how much this might be affecting productivity and employee relations. How can a person focus on their job when they are constantly taunted by radio raving?

Granted, I live in right wing radio land, but I hear this stuff on radios everywhere I go. I do know of companies where it led to personnel issues as some people were being forced to listen to this stuff due to proximity. In a couple of cases it led to official complaints and administrative actions.

I also know that many companies are finally banning computer games and many internet sites. Some years ago I walked the halls of one company and saw Free Cell up on almost every computer! But no more. Should political radio be next?
At my former employer, radios at work were banned, you're there to work. I loved that rule as I find that the "open office" environment where only the top dogs get an actual private office doesn't work when 30 people all have different stations or cd players going. My mind boggles when I hear all of the people that call into contests are at work, playing games!

Evo said:
At my former employer, radios at work were banned, you're there to work. I loved that rule as I find that the "open office" environment where only the top dogs get an actual private office doesn't work when 30 people all have different stations or cd players going. My mind boggles when I hear all of the people that call into contests are at work, playing games!

It is common to see radios allowed in manufacturing environments. However, in one case where it led to an official complaint, it was a shared cubical setting.

Back when I first started in the industrial environment, radios were common, but the biggest point of contention was whether the radio was set for country, or rock [or in rare cases, religion].

I'm routinely in and out of a wide variety of businesses. It's quite common to hear (upbeat) oldies playing in warehouses and light manufacturing - occasionally talk radio in a small office setting. If I had to pick the groups MOST LIKELY to listen to a Conservative talk show - it would be small business owners and people who drive all day (salespersons for instance). I've also noticed FOX News playing in a lot of waiting rooms and executive offices - but I guess that's another thread?

WhoWee said:
I'm routinely in and out of a wide variety of businesses. It's quite common to hear (upbeat) oldies playing in warehouses and light manufacturing - occasionally talk radio in a small office setting. If I had to pick the groups MOST LIKELY to listen to a Conservative talk show - it would be small business owners and people who drive all day (salespersons for instance). I've also noticed FOX News playing in a lot of waiting rooms and executive offices - but I guess that's another thread?

I'd wager that most public TVs in my area have Fox News on.

The problem with any sort of internet censorship at the corporate level: where do you draw the line? Is the Drudge Report a news site? The Blaze? Huffpo? I'd wager that most places now have actually loosened their belts when it comes to internet filtering site by site, but have alternative blocks in place (ie: blocking Flash/Shockwave and streaming multimedia).

Talk radio, just like any potentially offensive music or other openly audible material, needs to be catered to the surrounding audience. That shouldn't be dictated by specific corporate policy, though, that's a courtesy between coworkers and should be addressed as such.

mege said:
Talk radio, just like any potentially offensive music or other openly audible material, needs to be catered to the surrounding audience. That shouldn't be dictated by specific corporate policy, though, that's a courtesy between coworkers and should be addressed as such.

Agreed - except for public areas - the business better have a policy of some type.

The standard in public places - even fast food dining rooms - used to be "elevator music" piped in from "Muzak". Now, it seems the cable TV has replaced the music.

Related to Political radio affecting productivity?

1. How does listening to political radio affect productivity?

Listening to political radio can have both positive and negative effects on productivity. On one hand, it can keep individuals informed and engaged in current events, which can increase their overall knowledge and critical thinking skills. On the other hand, it can also be a distraction and lead to a decrease in productivity, especially if the content is emotionally charged or causes anxiety.

2. Does political radio have a greater impact on productivity compared to other forms of media?

The impact of political radio on productivity may vary from person to person. Some individuals may be able to tune out the radio while working, while others may find it more distracting compared to other forms of media. It ultimately depends on the individual's ability to focus and the content being broadcasted.

3. Can listening to political radio affect the quality of work?

There is no direct evidence that suggests listening to political radio can affect the quality of work. However, if the content being broadcasted is highly emotional or divisive, it may lead to a decrease in focus and attention, potentially impacting the quality of work.

4. Are there any benefits to listening to political radio while working?

Listening to political radio can have some benefits, such as keeping individuals informed and engaged in current events. It can also help stimulate critical thinking and provide a break from mundane tasks. However, it is important to find a balance and not let it become a constant distraction.

5. How can I minimize the negative effects of political radio on productivity?

If listening to political radio affects your productivity, there are a few things you can try to minimize its negative effects. These include setting a limit on how much time you spend listening to it, finding a quieter work environment, or switching to a less emotionally charged station. Additionally, taking breaks from the radio and incorporating other forms of media or activities can also help improve overall productivity.