Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pollution control

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1
    Is there any instrument for checking pollution rate of exhaust gas having mach number greater than one?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2
    On economic and maintenance point of view, I won't be putting any device there. Why there? What's your point of putting it there?

4. Feb 1, 2016 #3
    Heey this is our final year project.... "Reducing pollution of aircrafts by using catalitic converter" for that we have to check exhaust gas then only they will approve our project

5. Feb 1, 2016 #4
    If you have any ideas please share with me

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  6. Feb 1, 2016 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There is no need to put the sensor in the exhaust stream, just shunt-off a bit of it through a small tube.

Anyway, have you Googled "combustion gas analyzer" and done any research on what the word "pollution" means and how the combustion chemistry works?

7. Feb 1, 2016 #6
    Yet...is it possible to collect exhaust gas having more than one mach no.

8. Feb 1, 2016 #7

russ_watters

Certainly. Just use a sampling tube.

9. Feb 1, 2016 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@majid hussain

The sampling of exhaust gas from jet engines is a long established practice . Really you only have to do an internet search using some very obvious keywords to get all the information needed .

Before you do much more on your project though have a look at a catalytic converter for a car and then using ball park calculations scale it up for a jet engine - how big and how heavy is it going to be ??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  10. Feb 1, 2016 #9
    How can we shunt-off a gas having supersonic mach no. With a small tube

11. Feb 1, 2016 #10

russ_watters

I like Nidum's advice: You need to start researching this yourself instead of asking us and having us research for you and give you the answers. I did an "obvious" google search and came up with some patents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook