Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polymer Question

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1

bb1

I'm trying to calculate the structure factor for a polymer melt: S(q)=[tex]\sum_{k}[/tex][tex]\sum_{j}[/tex][tex]\epsilon^{i*<q>*<r_{kj}>}[/tex], but I don't know how to deal with the imaginary exponent...(the rest of the variable don't really matter, because I'm confused about how to deal with the exponent, but q is the scattering vector, and r[tex]_{kj}[/tex] is the distance between vectors k and j) my first thought was to multiply by the complex conjugate, but doesn't that just get rid of the exponential altogether, leaving nothing for you to add? I don't understand how I can get any data if I multiply by the complex conjugate. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use Euler's formula and consider only the real part of the trig side (i.e., the cosine). The exponential form makes some calculations easier.

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

bb1

Thanks for responding!
    I considered that, but it doesn't seem correct to just throw out the complex part...is there something I'm missing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?