Polynomial Analysis: Show 2 Real Solutions for f(x)=0

In summary, if a0 and a4 have opposite signs, then the polynomial f(x) will have at least 2 real solutions. Additionally, there is a specific value of x that can be found to make f(x) positive, regardless of the values of a1, a2, and a3.
toddlinsley79

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=a0+a1x+a2x2+a3x3+a4x4. Show that if a0a4<0, then f(x)=0 have at least 2 real solutions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any hints? I can't tell how to begin an attempt for a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
a0a4<0 so the two coefficients are of opposite sign. Let's assume a0>0 for a second. Can you tell me where f(x) is positive? Also, two different places f(x) will be negative

Well if a0>0, then in order for f(x) to be positive, a1x+a2x2+a3x3+a4x4<a0. What does this tell me about anything?

That's not the requirement for f(x) to be positive, but that's OK. There's an easy to find value of x that makes f(x) positive. Think about how you would try to graph f(x) and you should see it

How can I find the value of x when I only know the signs of a0 and a4 and nothing about a2 and a3?

For what value of x does f(x) only depend on a0?

What is polynomial analysis?

Polynomial analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of polynomials, which are expressions consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What does it mean to have a real solution for f(x)=0?

A real solution for f(x)=0 means that there is a value for x that makes the polynomial function equal to zero. In other words, it is the value of x where the graph of the polynomial intersects the x-axis.

How can you find 2 real solutions for f(x)=0?

To find 2 real solutions for f(x)=0, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the polynomial into two linear factors. The quadratic formula is (-b±√(b^2-4ac))/2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the polynomial in the form ax^2+bx+c.

What is the relationship between the number of real solutions and the degree of the polynomial?

The number of real solutions for a polynomial is equal to its degree. For example, a quadratic polynomial (degree 2) will have 2 real solutions, while a cubic polynomial (degree 3) will have 3 real solutions.

What are some real-life applications of polynomial analysis?

Polynomial analysis has various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. For example, it can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, design an electrical circuit, predict stock market trends, and create realistic 3D animations.