Polynomial Degree n Basis: 1,x,x^2...x^n

In summary, a polynomial of degree n has n+1 basis, but if a0=0, then the dimension of the basis becomes n and the basis no longer includes the term "1". This is because the basis is for a module of polynomials, not for a polynomial itself. Elements of modules and vector spaces do not have dimensions or bases, it is the module or vector space that has those things. The representation of a polynomial in the given basis is (0, 1, 0, 1, 0, ..., 0).
Zhang Jiawen
I knew that a polynomial of degree n has n+1 basis, i.e 1,x,x^2...x^n;
But what if a0=0,i.e the constant term is 0, like x^3+x, then what is the dimension and the basis? Is there only x(one dimension) as the basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
The basis is not a basis of a polynomial, it is the basis of a module of polynomials, which is a set with added algebraic structure.

Elements of modules and vector spaces do not have dimensions or bases. It is the module or vector space that has those things.

The representation of ##x^3+x## in the above basis is (0, 1, 0, 1, 0, ..., 0).

Zhang Jiawen said:
I knew that a polynomial of degree n has n+1 basis, i.e 1,x,x^2...x^n;
But what if a0=0,i.e the constant term is 0, like x^3+x, then what is the dimension and the basis? Is there only x(one dimension) as the basis?
Just drop "1" from the basis you give so the dimension is n.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and non-negative integer exponents.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because it is the highest exponent of x.

3. What is a basis in polynomials?

A basis in polynomials is a set of polynomials that can be used to express any other polynomial in a unique way. For example, the set {1, x, x^2} is a basis for polynomials of degree 2 or less.

4. What does the notation "n" represent in "Polynomial Degree n Basis: 1,x,x^2...x^n"?

The notation "n" represents the degree of the polynomial. In this context, it refers to the highest degree of the polynomial in the basis.

5. Why is the basis for polynomials typically chosen to be 1,x,x^2...x^n?

This basis is chosen because it is easy to work with and can express any polynomial of degree n or less. It also has the property that each polynomial in the basis is orthogonal to the others, making it useful for certain mathematical operations.