1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial with at most n-1 solutions.

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am expected to show that the polynomial
    a1xb1 + a2xb2 + ... + anxbn = 0
    has at most n-1 solutions in (0,infinity), where a1,a2,...,an are real numbers different than zero, and b1,b2,...,bn are real numbers so that bj is different than bk for j different than k.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to apply Rolle's theorem, but am not very successful at that. In general, between any two solutions the first derivative is equal to zero.
    I first tried dividing by xb1 noting that zero is not a solution and in order to obtain a simpler polynomial, but it is doubtful this is how it ought to be solved and it didn't seem to get me anywhere.
    Would anyone kindly provide some further insight/guidance?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try thinking about the cases n=1 and n=2 first. You've got some good ideas there of using Rolle's theorem and dividing by x^(b1). Try and apply them to set up a proof by induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook