Solving Pool Ball Problem: Speed & Force After Impact

• Thread starter pallidin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, two players hit the 6 and 7 balls towards the 8 ball at the same time and speed, causing the 8 ball to fly off at a 45 degree angle. The 6 and 7 balls stop moving upon impact and the 8 ball travels with a velocity equal to the sum of two vectors. The force of the 8 ball's travel cannot be determined.
pallidin
This is probably simple, so please excuse my ignorance, but it's bugging me.

I place the 8 ball in the center of a pool table. Then the 7 ball is place in the front of the table, say, 1 foot from the 8 ball for a direct line shot. I also place the 6 ball on the side, again 1 foot away for a direct side shot on the 8 ball.
Two players hit the 6 and 7 ball towards the 8 at exactly the same time and with exactly the same speed and force. Let's say, 10 mph with 1 lb of force.
Those two balls impact the 8 ball, and the 8 ball flys-off at a 45 degree angle(I think). Fine.
But at what speed and force does the 8 ball travel? And what happens to the 6 and 7 ball after this impact?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Supposing you hit the two ball's exactly in the center, they would both stop dead in their tracks when they hit the 8 ball. As far as what velocity the 8 ball would travel at, you can look at it its Velocity as a magnitude, being the sum of two vectors (one ball being horizontal, and one being vertical). Hope this is correct...

-Jason

Originally posted by pallidin
at what force does the 8 ball travel?
This question makes no sense. A ball doesn't travel with force.

I agree with Jason's answer. The 8 should go off at a 45 degree angle to the initial velocity of either ball with speed v*sqrt2 where v is the initial speed of the 6 ball.

Related to Solving Pool Ball Problem: Speed & Force After Impact

1. What is the "Pool Ball Problem"?

The "Pool Ball Problem" refers to a physics problem involving the collision of two pool balls on a pool table. It is used to demonstrate the principles of momentum, velocity, and force in an elastic collision.

2. How do you solve the Pool Ball Problem?

To solve the Pool Ball Problem, you need to apply the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. This involves calculating the velocities and masses of the two colliding pool balls before and after the collision, and using the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy to determine the final velocities and forces.

3. What factors affect the speed and force of the pool balls after impact?

The speed and force of the pool balls after impact are affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the two balls, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the balls and the surface they are colliding on.

4. How does the elasticity of the balls and the surface affect the Pool Ball Problem?

The elasticity of the balls and the surface they are colliding on can greatly impact the outcome of the Pool Ball Problem. In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of kinetic energy, the final velocities and forces of the balls will be different compared to an inelastic collision, where some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

5. What is the practical application of solving the Pool Ball Problem?

Solving the Pool Ball Problem has practical applications in various fields, including sports, engineering, and accident reconstruction. It can help determine the outcome of collisions between objects and understand the forces involved, which can be useful in designing safety features for cars and other vehicles, for example.