Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position and momentum

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    Good morning- afternoon.

First of all, apologize for my bad English.

After reading about how the expected value of an operator <q> is what we would measure in classical mechanics and that for the case in which we have various of them it is not trivial to deduce in which order these operators go for the lack of commutative propriety. <px> is not <xp> and that the true form to measure <xp>=(1/2)< xp+px>. I haven’t found how to calculate )< xp+px>

If anyone could point me a webpage or book where that is explained, it would be a great hel for me.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would evaluate it as you would the expectation value of any other operator. Apply the operator to the wave function, multiply by the complex conjugate of the wave function, and integrate.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3

naima

Gold Member

is it the same thing for E and B?

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4
    So would it be ∫dx Ψ* [(-iħ ∂/∂x)+(-iħ ∂/∂x)(x)] ψ = ∫dx Ψ* (-iħ ∂/∂x ψ) + ∫dx Ψ* (-iħ ∂/∂x)(x ψ) then?; with p = -iħ(∂/∂x) and position= x

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You omitted an x in the first term (from the xp).

7. Nov 29, 2014 #6
    Thanks for pinting that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook