Stars: North, South & Equator Positions

In summary, the north pole sees a totally different set of stars than people standing on the south pole. The Big Dipper is not visible from the south pole. People living on the equator would see different stars than people on the north pole.
buzzdiamond
Would people on the north pole see a totally different set of stars than people standing on the south pole..? Would the Big Dipper be visible from the South Pole..? Would people living on the equator see even a different set of stars..?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
buzzdiamond said:
Would people on the north pole see a totally different set of stars than people standing on the south pole..?

What do you think and why?

I believe you can only see certain stars from the north pole and certain stars from the south pole. Because up from the north pole is down from the south pole and you can't see through the ground. So you wouldn't see the big dipper from the south pole.

That's good.

Now think about what is the long-term ramification of the fact that the Earth has a slightly tilted axis relative to its rotation around the sun. Does that change the picture any over the course of a year?

buzzdiamond, Welcome to Physics Forums!

phinds is correct in what he has said. Just to elaborate with an example: I live in Brasil at 10 degrees South latitude. Here the "Big Dipper" is visible low in the North, and the "Southern Cross" is high in the Southern sky. Where is the "Big Dipper" located in your sky? Can you see the "Southern Cross" from where you are?

Hey guys, thanks for having me. I don't really now much about the physics or positions and/or how everything is calculated, but I have some theories and many questions and/or doubts about things.

It seems like many images we see of our galaxy and/or our universe are only renditions by artists, thus only guess's and not what's really there. Am I way off base..?

buzzdiamond said:
It seems like many images we see of our galaxy and/or our universe are only renditions by artists, thus only guess's and not what's really there. Am I way off base..?

thats a little bit of an oddball thing to say ;)
do have a specific example ? some images somewhere we can look at and tell you if they are real or not ?

Im in Sydney, Australia, much further south than Bobbywhy, and from here we don't see the big or little dipper at all
The net is full of real photos of our and other galaxies ... go to the Hubble Space Telescope image archive site as an example

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/

cheers
Dave

I am at 45N. Currently the Big Dipper is low in the North. I never have knowingly seen the Southern Cross. I may have had a opportunity 40yrs ago when I was In Guantanamo Bay at 20N. Then, I was familiar with the circum (N) polar stars from Boy Scouts. When I looked at the stars in Gitmo it was just foreign, I had no idea what I was seeing. It was not knowing that sky that drew me to a book on Naked eye astronomy after I was out of the Navy.

Integral said:
I am at 45N. Currently the Big Dipper is low in the North. I never have knowingly seen the Southern Cross. I may have had a opportunity 40yrs ago when I was In Guantanamo Bay at 20N. Then, I was familiar with the circum (N) polar stars from Boy Scouts. When I looked at the stars in Gitmo it was just foreign, I had no idea what I was seeing. It was not knowing that sky that drew me to a book on Naked eye astronomy after I was out of the Navy.

I have traveled to the nthrn hemisphere a number of times now. One of the more surreal and awesome views of the nthrn sky came from my visit to Hawaii in 1999. A couple of friends took me out to the lava flows on the "Big Island". It was daylight when we walked out there, but we stayed to well after dark and to have the lava flowing right beside us as we sat/stood under a glorious clear night sky was amazing. Hilo's lights were far enough away that they didnt light up the sky.

Dave

buzzdiamond said:

WAY off base. Goggle "Hubble Space Telescope images"

phinds said:
WAY off base. Goggle "Hubble Space Telescope images"

yup just what I said a few posts back ;)

hopefully he will listen to us both and get to realize the whole real universe out there :)

Dave

1. What is the difference between the positions of stars in the North, South, and Equator?

The positions of stars in the sky vary depending on the viewer's location on Earth. The North, South, and Equator refer to different regions on our planet. The stars appear to be in different positions in these regions due to the Earth's rotation and tilt on its axis.

2. How can I determine the positions of stars in the North, South, and Equator?

The positions of stars can be determined by using a star chart or a star map. These tools show the relative positions of stars in the sky based on your location on Earth. You can also use a compass and a knowledge of celestial coordinates to locate stars in the North, South, and Equator.

3. Are the positions of stars in the North, South, and Equator fixed?

No, the positions of stars are not fixed. They appear to move across the sky due to the Earth's rotation. However, there are certain stars, such as Polaris in the North, that remain relatively stationary due to their position in relation to the Earth's axis.

4. How does the position of the North Star relate to the Earth's rotation?

The North Star, also known as Polaris, is located directly above the Earth's North Pole. As the Earth rotates on its axis, the North Star appears to remain stationary in the sky. This is why it has been used as a navigational tool for centuries.

5. Can the positions of stars in the North, South, and Equator change over time?

Yes, the positions of stars can change over time due to various factors such as the Earth's precession (a slow change in the direction of the Earth's axis) and the movement of stars themselves. However, these changes are very gradual and may not be noticeable in a human lifetime.