Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of Stars

1. Aug 17, 2012 #1
    Would people on the north pole see a totally different set of stars than people standing on the south pole..? Would the Big Dipper be visible from the South Pole..? Would people living on the equator see even a different set of stars..?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think and why?

4. Aug 17, 2012 #3
    I believe you can only see certain stars from the north pole and certain stars from the south pole. Because up from the north pole is down from the south pole and you can't see through the ground. So you wouldn't see the big dipper from the south pole.

5. Aug 17, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's good.

Now think about what is the long-term ramification of the fact that the Earth has a slightly tilted axis relative to its rotation around the sun. Does that change the picture any over the course of a year?

6. Aug 17, 2012 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

buzzdiamond, Welcome to Physics Forums!

phinds is correct in what he has said. Just to elaborate with an example: I live in Brasil at 10 degrees South latitude. Here the "Big Dipper" is visible low in the North, and the "Southern Cross" is high in the Southern sky. Where is the "Big Dipper" located in your sky? Can you see the "Southern Cross" from where you are?

7. Aug 17, 2012 #6
    Hey guys, thanks for having me. I don't really now much about the physics or positions and/or how everything is calculated, but I have some theories and many questions and/or doubts about things.

It seems like many images we see of our galaxy and/or our universe are only renditions by artists, thus only guess's and not what's really there. Am I way off base..?

8. Aug 18, 2012 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thats a little bit of an oddball thing to say ;)
    do have a specific example ? some images somewhere we can look at and tell you if they are real or not ?

Im in Sydney, Australia, much further south than Bobbywhy, and from here we dont see the big or little dipper at all
    The net is full of real photos of our and other galaxies ... go to the Hubble Space Telescope image archive site as an example

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/

cheers
    Dave

9. Aug 18, 2012 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am at 45N. Currently the Big Dipper is low in the North. I never have knowingly seen the Southern Cross. I may have had a opportunity 40yrs ago when I was In Guantanamo Bay at 20N. Then, I was familiar with the circum (N) polar stars from Boy Scouts. When I looked at the stars in Gitmo it was just foreign, I had no idea what I was seeing. It was not knowing that sky that drew me to a book on Naked eye astronomy after I was out of the Navy.

10. Aug 18, 2012 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have travelled to the nthrn hemisphere a number of times now. One of the more surreal and awesome views of the nthrn sky came from my visit to Hawaii in 1999. A couple of friends took me out to the lava flows on the "Big Island". It was daylight when we walked out there, but we stayed to well after dark and to have the lava flowing right beside us as we sat/stood under a glorious clear night sky was amazing. Hilo's lights were far enough away that they didnt light up the sky.

Dave

11. Aug 18, 2012 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

WAY off base. Goggle "Hubble Space Telescope images"

12. Aug 18, 2012 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup just what I said a few posts back ;)

hopefully he will listen to us both and get to realise the whole real universe out there :)

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook