Position wave function of two electrons

In summary: The state |k1,k2> represents a system with two electrons with definite values of momentum k1 and k2.The overall wave function must satisfy the Pauli principle, which means it must be antisymmetric under interchange of the two electrons. This can be achieved by constructing a Slater determinant using the single particle wave functions for each electron. This will give you a wave function in position space, which can then be used to calculate the position-wave-function.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the position-wave-function for a system of two free electrons with definite momenta k1 and k2. The state |k1,k2> represents a system with two electrons with definite values of momentum k1 and k2. The overall wave
Faust90
Hi,

I want to calculate the position-wave-function of a system of two free electrons with momenta k1 and k2 (vectors).

1. Homework Statement

So, I want to have Psi_(k1,k2)(x1,x2) for a state |k1,k2>

I also know that <k'|k> = (2Pi)^3 Delta(k-k')

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the following:

Psi(x1,x2)=<x1,x2|k1,k2>=<x1,x2|1|k1,k2>=Integral<x1,x2|k1',k2'><k1',k2'|k1,k2>dk1dk2

The first term <x1,x2|k1',k2'> are the momenta eigenfunction in Space presentation, the second term is the given delta-function:

= Integral Exp(ik1'x1)Exp(ik2'x2) Delta(k1-k1')Delta(k2-k2')
=Exp(ik1x1)Exp(ik2x2)

Is that right?
I'm a bit confused about k1,k2 and k1',k2'Best regards :-)
Faust

Physics news on Phys.org
Faust90 said:
Psi(x1,x2)=<x1,x2|k1,k2>=<x1,x2|1|k1,k2>=Integral<x1,x2|k1',k2'><k1',k2'|k1,k2>dk1dk2

The first term <x1,x2|k1',k2'> are the momenta eigenfunction in Space presentation, the second term is the given delta-function:

= Integral Exp(ik1'x1)Exp(ik2'x2) Delta(k1-k1')Delta(k2-k2')
=Exp(ik1x1)Exp(ik2x2)
Aren't you running in circles here? If you can replace <x1,x2|k1',k2'> by Exp(ik1'x1)Exp(ik2'x2), why can't you do that with <x1,x2|k1,k2>?

If you take definite values of ##k##, then the wave function is not localized: the uncertainty on position is infinite. You need to take a more physically acceptable starting point, such as a wave packet centered around ##k_1## and ##k_2##. You can then Fourier transform it to get the wave function in position space.

Remember also that the total wave function has to obey the Pauli principle.

Hi,

thanks for your answer :-)

I'm still a bit confused. Let me summary again what I have:

Two electrons characterized by a wave vector k, where I know that the normalization is :<k|k'>=(2Pi)^3 Delta(k-k').
Now I have the state |k1,k2> and I shall construct the space wave function.

My first questions:1. The |k>,|k'> are the eigenvectors of the momentum operator, or?
2. Does the state |k1,k2> mean that I have definite values of k?

Faust90 said:
My first questions:

1. The |k>,|k'> are the eigenvectors of the momentum operator, or?
2. Does the state |k1,k2> mean that I have definite values of k?
Yes to both.

Likes Faust90

Hello Faust,

Thank you for your question. Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. The position wave function of two electrons can be calculated using the following formula:

Psi(x1,x2) = <x1,x2 | k1,k2> = <x1 | k1> * <x2 | k2>

Where <x1 | k1> and <x2 | k2> are the position eigenfunctions for each electron. These can be expressed as:

<x1 | k1> = (1/sqrt(2pi)) * exp(ik1x1)
<x2 | k2> = (1/sqrt(2pi)) * exp(ik2x2)

Substituting these into the formula, we get:

Psi(x1,x2) = (1/(2pi)) * exp(ik1x1) * exp(ik2x2)

This is the correct expression for the position wave function of two free electrons with momenta k1 and k2. The k1 and k2 in this expression refer to the initial momenta of the electrons, while k1' and k2' refer to the final momenta after the measurement. The delta function ensures that the final momenta are equal to the initial momenta.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Best regards,

1. What is the position wave function of two electrons?

The position wave function of two electrons is a mathematical description of the probability of finding two electrons at a given position in space. It takes into account the wave-like nature of electrons and is used in quantum mechanics to predict the behavior of electrons in a system.

2. How is the position wave function of two electrons calculated?

The position wave function of two electrons is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the system and the wave function of the electrons to determine the probability of finding them at a given position.

3. What is the significance of the position wave function of two electrons?

The position wave function of two electrons is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in a system. By studying the probability of finding electrons at different positions, we can make predictions about their behavior and interactions with other particles.

4. How does the position wave function change when the distance between two electrons changes?

The position wave function changes when the distance between two electrons changes because the probability of finding them at a given position is affected by their distance from each other. As the distance between them decreases, the probability of finding them closer together increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the position wave function of two electrons be measured?

No, the position wave function of two electrons cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical construct used to describe the behavior of electrons in a system. However, the results of experiments and observations can be used to validate the predictions made by the position wave function.