1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive charge distributed uniformly along y axis

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    I have a physics question that states:
    An amount of positive charge is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=o and y=a. A negative point charge -q lies on teh positive x=axis a distance r from the origin. Derive the x and y compontes of the force that the charge distribution exerts on Q exerts on q.

I have figured the y force to be: (Qqk/a)[(q/x)-(1/(a^2 +x^2)^1/2)] I did this by drawing out the graph and by doing an intgral from 0 to a on dfsin theta. Where theta is the angle where the line comes from the top of through q. I then used trig substitution to figure out what sin theta is. The part that I am stuck on is how do I solve for the force on the X axis.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force on q of a charge [itex]dQ = \frac{Q}{a}dy[/itex] is:

[tex]F = \frac{kq}{(r^2+y^2)}dQ = \frac{kqQ}{a(r^2+y^2)}dy[/tex]

So the components of the Coulomb force on q would be:

[tex]F_x = \frac{kqQ}{a}\int_0^a \frac{1}{y^2+r^2}cos\theta dy[/tex]

[tex]F_y = \frac{kqQ}{a}\int_0^a \frac{1}{y^2+r^2}sin\theta dy[/tex]

where [itex]sin\theta = y/\sqrt{y^2+r^2}[/itex] and [itex]cos\theta = r/\sqrt{y^2+r^2}[/itex]

Work out those integrals and you should get the right answer.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?