Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive definitive matrix in wikipedia

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    Hi all. I have a quick question

In this wikilink en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-definite_matrix in the first example

I don't get how they get 2x1^2 -2x1x2+2x2^2-2x2x3+2x3^2 in the third line.

Can anyone bother to explain?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey de_student and welcome to the forums.

For that line they are multiplying a row vector by a column vector which translates to an inner product. So if the row vector is [a, b, c] and the column vector is [x, y, z]^T then the result will be ax + by + cz using the standard definition of matrix multiplication.

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    Hi. Thanks for prompt answer. But my question is in the example there is not always [c]-member from row vector. like there is no x3 in the member (2x1-x2). How can I deal with that?

5. May 11, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean, but the expression has been expanded out in the right manner. The reason there is no x3 for this term is because the M matrix has a 0 element at row 3, column 1. This is why there is no x3 element for this particular case in that particular cell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook