Why Does the Kraus Map Need to be Completely Positive?

• Thread starter Henriamaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map
In summary, quantum computation involves defining a map that takes a density matrix to another, represented by kraus matrices. The distinction between positive and completely positive maps is important for entangled states. While positive maps always yield positive results for separable states, non-separable states can result in negative eigenvalues for positive but not completely positive maps. Therefore, in order to ensure a valid density matrix in all cases, we require the map to be completely positive.
Henriamaa
In Quantum Computation we define a map that takes on density matrix to another. It is represented by some kraus matrices. I do not know why it has to be completely positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not active in this area, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

A positive map [itex]\Phi[/itex] takes a density matrix to another density matrix. The difference between positive and completely positive maps is important for entangled states in combined systems, where the map acts only on one of the systems.

For a seperable state [itex]\rho = \rho_1 \otimes \rho_2[/itex], a new state [itex](\Phi \otimes I_2)\rho[/itex] is always positive ([itex]I_2[/itex] is the identity in the second system). Counterintuitively, non-seperable states can yield negative eigenvalues when acted upon with a positive but not completely positive map.

Since we want our map to yield a valid density matrix in all cases, we require it to be completely positive, that is to say that [itex](\Phi \otimes I_2)\rho[/itex] has to be positive for arbitrary systems 2 and states [itex]\rho[/itex].

1. What is the "Positivity of Kraus Map"?

The "Positivity of Kraus Map" refers to a mathematical property of a Kraus map, which is a type of quantum operation used to describe the evolution of a quantum system. A Kraus map is said to be positive if it preserves the positivity of a density matrix, which is a mathematical representation of a quantum state.

2. Why is the "Positivity of Kraus Map" important?

The "Positivity of Kraus Map" is important because it ensures that the evolution of a quantum system is physically meaningful. A positive Kraus map guarantees that the resulting density matrix will also be positive, which is necessary for a valid quantum state.

3. How is the "Positivity of Kraus Map" tested?

The "Positivity of Kraus Map" can be tested by calculating the eigenvalues of the resulting density matrix after the application of the Kraus map. If all eigenvalues are positive, then the map is positive. Alternatively, one can use the Choi-Jamiołkowski isomorphism to check if the Choi matrix, which represents the Kraus map, is positive.

4. Can a Kraus map be positive for some states and not for others?

Yes, a Kraus map can be positive for some states and not for others. This is because the positivity of a map depends on the initial state of the quantum system. A map can be positive for one initial state but not for another. It is important to check the positivity of a map for all possible initial states to ensure its validity.

5. What are the implications of a non-positive Kraus map?

If a Kraus map is not positive, it means that the resulting density matrix can have negative eigenvalues, which is physically meaningless. This can lead to inconsistencies and errors in calculating the evolution of a quantum system. Therefore, it is important to use only positive Kraus maps in quantum information processing tasks.