Possible ebay fraudulent email

• Thread starter GOD__AM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the conversation is about an individual receiving a suspicious email asking them to verify personal information. They realize it is a scam and report it to eBay, who confirms it as a spoof. The person advises others to be cautious of similar emails and shares a tool that can help prevent falling victim to phishing scams. The general rule is to never provide personal information in response to an email, as legitimate companies will not ask for it through email.
GOD__AM
I just received the following email;

Well I tried to copy and paste it, but the whole email is a link, and I cannot copy the text. The jist of the email was saying that I needed to verify personal info. After following the link and signing into my account it asked me for my cretit card info...At this point I immediatly left the site and logged into ebay and changed my password. This seems to be an obvious scam, and anyone getting a similar mail should foward the email to spoof@ebay.com as I have done.

Edit; i just got a reply from ebay stating that it is definatly a spoof and not something they sent. I should have known this immediatly, and am disapointed in myself for not recognizing it before I used my pass word. Live and learn, I hope this helps some of you avoid any problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been getting similar spoof emails that appear to be from ebay and paypal.

Most major corporations have now made it a policy to never link you to their website for personal information requests. This is especially true for ebay or paypal. They supposedly will simply tell you go log into ebay by yourself.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/

If you go there, you can download a toolbar that automatically blocks known phishing sites and ranks all sites based on reliability. In general, you can get a pretty good idea from the domain name, and you should also know that no legitimate site is ever going to e-mail you asking you to confirm information like that. Most sites even tell you when you sign up that they never will (much as a bank says that they will never call asking you for your PIN).

1. What is an ebay fraudulent email?

An ebay fraudulent email is a scam message that appears to be from ebay, but is actually sent by a fraudster. It may contain links or attachments that can harm your computer or steal your personal information.

2. How can I tell if an email from ebay is fraudulent?

There are several red flags that can indicate an email is fraudulent, such as spelling or grammar errors, requests for personal information, or urgent/pressuring language. Check the sender's email address and hover over any links to verify they are legitimate before clicking on them.

3. What should I do if I receive a suspicious email from ebay?

If you are unsure about the legitimacy of an email from ebay, do not click on any links or attachments. Instead, forward the email to ebay's spoof email address (spoof@ebay.com) and delete it from your inbox.

4. Can I report a fraudulent email to ebay?

Yes, you can report suspicious emails to ebay by forwarding them to their spoof email address or by reporting it through their website. It is important to report these emails so ebay can investigate and take action to protect their users.

5. What should I do if I have already clicked on a link or provided personal information in a fraudulent email?

If you have already fallen victim to a fraudulent email, you should immediately change your ebay password and contact ebay's customer service for further assistance. You may also want to monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity and consider reporting the incident to your local authorities.