Possible Error in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Newtonian mechanics in different inertial reference frames and the issue of different momenta measurements. It also mentions the existence of an erratum for the 2nd edition of the textbook and potential errors in the newer editions. The conversation ultimately concludes that the newer editions should be approached with caution due to potential conceptual errors.
Laudator
1st page of Chapter 7, p.276, very last line, p=p'. I get that in Newtonian mechanics, the forces, times and masses are the same in two different inertial reference frames, but shouldn't the momenta measured be different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide more context? Everybody is not sitting with a copy of the 3rd edition at a handy distance.

Likes davenn

Velocity is different and so momentum is different. ##\vec p’ = \vec p - m\vec v##, where ##\vec v## is the relative velocity between the inertial frames.

I think that what the authors wanted to say is that Newton equation remains true if you change the original terms by the transformed ones. Though, doing a literal reading that last equation is wrong.

I have found an (unofficial) errata sheet for the 2nd edition to go with my copy of the textbook, but apart from someone in https://www.researchgate.net/publication/238984277_Errors_in_Goldstein's_Classical_Mechanics pointing out the physical impossibility implied by the front cover figure, I have not been able to find errata for 3rd edition.

From the snapshot above it appears that 3rd edition has significant changes that probably will make it an arduous task to use 2nd edition errata. For what it is worth, it also appears to me that equation (7.2) and its accompanying text, as show in the snapshot above, is new in 3rd edition. The Galilean transformation in equation (7.1) in 3rd edition is equation (7.8) in 2nd edition and it here derived as the "small velocity limit" of the Lorentz transformation.

The newer editions of Goldstein have to be taken with a grain of salt. There are serious conceptual errors in it (concerning non-holonomous constraints, treated wrongly as vasconomic dynamics).

What is the meaning of "vasconomic"? Google did not give any hit for vasconomic dynamics.

Sorry, the right spelling is "vakonomic".

Thank you. Google did not suggest it when I was looking for vasconomic. :) It does not know everything. Yet.

1. What are the most common types of errors found in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition?

The most common types of errors found in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition are typographical errors, mathematical errors, and conceptual errors.

2. How do these errors affect the accuracy of the content in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition?

These errors can affect the accuracy of the content in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition by causing confusion or misinterpretation of concepts, equations, or data.

3. Are there any known errata or corrections for Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition?

Yes, there are known errata and corrections for Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition. These can be found on the publisher's website or by contacting the author directly.

4. How can I report an error I have found in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition?

If you have found an error in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition, you can report it to the publisher or the author. Be sure to provide specific details and evidence of the error.

5. Are there any alternative textbooks that can be used to supplement Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition?

Yes, there are many alternative textbooks that cover similar topics to Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition. Some popular options include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.