1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Statistical Mechanics 3rd Edition by Pathria and Beale

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    I would like to know if I'm the only one finding Pathria's book not organized and somehow I have an uneasy feeling when reading it. What are other graduate books in statistical mechanics (aside from Kardar's book which is more organized but too concise)? How does Pathria's book compare to others?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2
    I prefer Pathria and Beale to any graduate statistical mechanics book that I know of. I actually took a Statistical mechanics from one of the authors. Perhaps, Landau and Livshts is a near second. The subject graduate statistical mechanics has always been a hard one to approach. I liked statistical nechanics but I know many cases where students who do well in the course are uncomfortable with it.

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3
    I just thought of another one. Statistical Mechanics by Kerson Huang, although I have only read about 100 pages in that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted