Possible to modify a magnet to be more beamlike

• Thread starter stalnakerz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of modifying a magnet to have more beam-like characteristics instead of a broad field. Suggestions include encasing the magnet in ferromagnetic material, using mu-metal shields, and utilizing specially polarized magnets from a company called Correlated Magnetics. However, it is noted that a uniform magnetic field confined to a cylinder would not be effective in pulling objects.
stalnakerz
Possible to modify a magnet to be more "beamlike"

I've been wondering if it is possible to encase a magnet in something readily available that would give it more beam-like characteristics vs. field. Basically, I want to have the magnet encased so that I would get full magnetic pull on an object directly in front of the magnet but little or none when the object is not directly in front of the magnet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that I know of. Magnetic field loops need to have a path from the south to the north pole, although if the field loops were mind-numbingly huge it might seem to act like you want...

That's actually what' I'm looking for. The loop to be large on either pole but keep very close to the magnet itself on the sides.

Mu metal will help but there is no way to totally shield a magnetic field. Magnetics Inc. sells it but it it expensive. Try making a shield out of a ferromagnetic metal and it will likely work about as well. A preformed iron or steel box with open ends will work pretty good.

Actually, I've been looking around and I think that for my application I'll use a rod magnet wrapped in ferromagnetic material with a mu-metal shield around that. Hopefully that will allow the field loops to pass through the ferro material while limiting the spread of the field. As soon as I get the money up to buy all the materials I need, I'll reply to this thread and let everyone know how it's working.

Remember that the pull on an object (a magnetic dipole) by a magnetic field has nothing to do with the strength of the field as such, but with its gradient. Thus, a uniform field confined to a cylinder wouldn't actually pull anything.

Unfortunately, really efficient "pull" requires a pancake shape coil and that will have little throw.

http://www.correlatedmagnetics.com/

These people have specially polarized magnets that attract strongly when properly aligned but repel when slightly twisted or moved off-axis. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for in a magnet but it's the closest commercially available product I know of that seems to match your description. Cheers.

This thread is 4 years old.

Related to Possible to modify a magnet to be more beamlike

1. Can a magnet be modified to emit a beam of energy?

Yes, it is possible to modify a magnet to produce a beam of energy. This process involves altering the shape and composition of the magnet to focus its magnetic field into a more concentrated and directional force.

2. How does modifying a magnet make it more beamlike?

Modifying a magnet involves changing its shape and composition to create a more focused and directional magnetic field. This allows the magnet to emit a more concentrated beam of energy, similar to a laser beam.

3. What are the potential applications of a modified magnet with beamlike properties?

A magnet with beamlike properties has a wide range of potential applications, including in medical imaging, particle accelerators, and high-tech weaponry. It could also be used in research and development for new technologies and materials.

4. Are there any limitations to modifying a magnet to be more beamlike?

While it is possible to modify a magnet to emit a more focused and directional beam of energy, there are limitations to this process. The strength and power of the beam will depend on the strength of the magnet and the precision of the modifications made.

5. Is it safe to modify a magnet to produce a beam of energy?

Modifying a magnet to emit a beam of energy should only be done by trained professionals in a controlled environment. Without proper knowledge and precautions, there is a risk of injury or damage to the magnet or surrounding equipment. Safety measures should always be taken when working with modified magnets emitting beams of energy.