Possibly the simplest quantum physics question EVER

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a beam of electrons passing through two narrow slits and being detected on a screen. The question asks how many electrons will arrive at the center of the screen when both slits are open, based on the information that 10 electrons arrive at the center when only one slit is open. The conversation mentions the concepts of amplitude, intensity, and phases in relation to the interference pattern created by the electrons passing through the slits. The solution involves finding the amplitudes of the single and double slit maximum and using them to calculate the intensities, which are related to the number of electrons arriving at the center of the screen.
Hertz

Homework Statement

A beam of electrons strikes a barrier with two narrow but equal-width slits. A screen is located beyond the barrier, and electrons are detected as they strike the screen. The 'center' of the screen is the point equidistant from the slits. When either slit alone is open, 10 electrons arrive per second in a very small region at the center of the screen. When both slits are open, how many electrons will arrive per second in the same region at the center of the screen? (Question 11, Chapter 4)

Homework Equations

Not really sure... This is why I'm stuck. I can't think of any equations to use to approach this type of problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuitive guess is 20.. For obvious reasons. I just don't see my teacher putting such an informal and simple question on our assignment. Is there a more formal way to solve for the answer to this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is not 20.
What do you know about amplitudes and intensities behind a double slit?
Phase difference is another keyword.

mfb said:
The answer is not 20.
What do you know about amplitudes and intensities behind a double slit?
Phase difference is another keyword.

I know that all wavelengths constructively interfere in the exact center because the waves from each slit travel the same distance to the center. I also know that the maximum steadily decreases to a point some distance from the center where the waves from one slit destructively interfere with the waves from another.

This seems a little bit hard to apply though.. When I think of a "beam" of electrons, I think of one electron reaching the double slit, followed by another electron reaching the double slit, etc. I can see a single electron interfering with itself and having a probability distribution like that of an interference pattern, but what do I do with this info?

It's basically telling me the amplitude of the single slit maximum right? I'm not sure how to use this to find the amplitude of the double slit maximum.

I can see a single electron interfering with itself and having a probability distribution like that of an interference pattern, but what do I do with this info?
What do you know about the phases from the two slits, what do you know about amplitudes and their relation to intensities?

It's basically telling me the amplitude of the single slit maximum right?
You have something related to the amplitude.

mfb said:
What do you know about the phases from the two slits, what do you know about amplitudes and their relation to intensities?

Are you hinting at amplitude and intensity being proportional to each other? I'm sorry, I'm still very confused... What do you mean by the "phases between the two slits"? Are you talking about the difference in distance (Δx) traveled by the electron as compared to the wavelength of the electron? If I know Δx and the wavelength of the electron, the only thing I personally know how to do with this is locate the minima and maxima, I don't know how to find the intensities of these minima or maxima... Furthermore, I don't know how to relate these intensities with the given intensity of the single slit maxima..

Are you hinting at amplitude and intensity being proportional to each other?
They are not proportional to each other.

What do you mean by the "phases between the two slits"? Are you talking about the difference in distance (Δx) traveled by the electron as compared to the wavelength of the electron?
Right.

Fill in:
You know that the distance from both slits to the maximum is the same. This means ____ interference between both (=you have a ____).

Amplitudes from different sources (different slits) can be _____ to get the overall amplitude.
Let's assume the amplitude with just the first slit is 1 (units don't matter here). The amplitude with just the second slit is 1 as well due to the symmetry. If both slits are open, you can _____ the amplitudes and the result is _____ (due to the first "___").

The relation between intensity and amplitude is in your textbook, and nearly every description of the double-slit experiment. Once you have the amplitudes (for 1 and for 2 slits), the intensities are easy to calculate.

1. What is the simplest quantum physics question ever?

The simplest quantum physics question ever is the double-slit experiment, which asks whether light behaves as a wave or a particle.

2. How does the double-slit experiment work?

The double-slit experiment involves shining light through two parallel slits onto a screen. If light behaves as a particle, it would create two distinct lines on the screen. If light behaves as a wave, it would create an interference pattern with multiple lines.

3. What is the significance of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light, which is a fundamental concept in quantum physics. It also shows that the act of observation can affect the outcome of an experiment.

4. How does the double-slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double-slit experiment is a prime example of the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges our understanding of classical physics and led to the development of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the double-slit experiment?

While the double-slit experiment is primarily a thought experiment, its principles have been applied in various technologies such as electron microscopes and diffraction gratings used in optical instruments. It also has implications for quantum computing and cryptography.