1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using diffraction slit as a lens

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A TV tube manufacturer is attempting to improve the picture resolution, while keeping
    costs down, by designing an electron gun that produces an electron beam which will make
    the smallest possible spot on the face of the tube, using only an electron emitting cathode
    followed by a system of two well-spaced apertures. (a) Show that there is an optimum
    diameter for the second aperture. (b) Using reasonable TV , tube parameters, estimate the
    minimum possible spot size."

2. Relevant equations

ΔpΔx≥[itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]

a sin θ = mλ ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking that I need to use single slit diffraction on this, since while the single slit equation is for the minimum on the screen, if it goes an equal distance past that, it will create a maxima. I'm a little fuzzy on how Heisenberg's equation fits, since this was from the chapter on the uncertainty principle.

p.s. I was unsure if this question should go here, or in the introductory questions section. I thought that quantum mechanics should be directed here though.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted