Post Count Exclusions in General Discussion: Exploring the Reasoning Behind It

• Thread starter Shooting Star
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary: Kurdt is working on an FAQ that will answer some of the most common questions and also provide tips.Of course people will start a new thread to ask the question instead of reading the FAQ, but at least we can just answer with "read the FAQ". Yes, this is something that will be addressed in the FAQ.
Shooting Star
Homework Helper
I just learned that posts made in the General Discussion forum are not counted in the post count. Does this apply to the sub-sections of GD, like Philosophy?

Could anybody tell me the rationale behind this?

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Shooting Star said:
I just learned that posts made in the General Discussion forum are not counted in the post count. Does this apply to the sub-sections of GD, like Philosophy?

Could anybody tell me the rationale behind this?
It should apply to Philosophy, but the post count for some reason didn't get dropped when Philosophy was moved here as a sub-forum. Politics & World Affairs posts do not count.

The rationale is that for consideration for Homework Helper and Science Advisor we are looking for people that are contributing to the sciences and the post count should reflect posts in those forums.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
Evo said:
The rational is that for consideration for Homework Helper and Science Advisor we are looking for people that are contributing to the sciences and the post count should reflect posts in those forums.

I anticipated that to be the reason. In that case, in my opinion the posts in Forum Feedback should also be not counted, because many a times a number of wasteful posts are made just to find out about how a button works.

So you are saying that philosophers count...? :smile:

Shooting Star said:
I anticipated that to be the reason. In that case, in my opinion the posts in Forum Feedback should also be not counted, because many a times a number of wasteful posts are made just to find out about how a button works.
True, but people may only post a few times there, not hundreds, so I think it was never considered an issue.

Kurdt is working on an FAQ that will answer some of the most common questions and also provide tips. Of course people will start a new thread to ask the question instead of reading the FAQ, but at least we can just answer with "read the FAQ". :smile:

Likes gracy

Related to Post Count Exclusions in General Discussion: Exploring the Reasoning Behind It

What is post count and why is it important in GD?

Post count refers to the number of posts that a user has made in a specific forum or thread. In GD, it is important because it allows other users to see how active and engaged a particular user is in the discussions and topics within the forum.

Does post count affect a user's reputation in GD?

No, post count does not directly affect a user's reputation in GD. However, a higher post count may indicate that a user is more experienced and knowledgeable in the community, which could potentially lead to a higher reputation among other users.

Can post count be manipulated or falsified in GD?

Yes, post count can be manipulated or falsified by creating multiple accounts and posting from each one. This is known as "post farming" and is considered unethical in GD. The community and moderators actively work to identify and remove these types of posts and users.

Is there a limit to how many posts a user can make in GD?

There is no set limit to the number of posts a user can make in GD. However, some forums may have their own rules or guidelines regarding the frequency or quantity of posts that a user can make in a given time period.

How can I increase my post count in GD?

The best way to increase post count in GD is to actively participate in discussions and contribute valuable insights and opinions. However, it is important to avoid spamming or making irrelevant or meaningless posts, as these can be flagged and may result in a decrease in post count.