Postgraduate by research Mathematics

In summary, when considering a Master's program, it is important to research the specific requirements and courses offered by the university you are interested in, as each university may have different focuses and expectations for their students.
annoymage
Hi, I am planning to take my master next year, I have several misunderstanding that I wish anybody can explain.

Okay, at first, last year, I've been checking Master programme on Universities. I found that some of them distinguished Master by research and master by coursework. And I keep convincing myself for one year that Master by research is doing desertion without any classes (except for seminars and stuff), Until now I've realized most of them required like for example 4 unit courses each semester. What even surprise me is that
"The purpose of the prelimination exam is to make sure that graduate students have sufficient working knowledge of undergraduate material to complete a PhD"

and the compulsory courses are all general mathematics (Analysis, Algebra, etc). I was hoping that I can leave uninterested subject(at least for me) when involve in Master Program. And pursue deeper on my own area of interest.

So, is it all Universities are similar, or is it just me generalising with 2 or 3 Universities that I've read?

p/s: I was so surprised that I want to post this thread immediately =P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It definitely depends on the university you choose to attend. Some universities may offer more specialized courses and programs that focus on specific areas of study, while other universities may have more generalized courses and programs with a wider range of subject areas. In terms of the prelim exam, this is usually a standard process for universities offering PhD programs to ensure that candidates have sufficient knowledge to complete their doctoral studies. It is important to research the university you plan to attend and find out what type of courses and programs they offer, so that you can make an informed decision about your education plan.

1. What is a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics?

A postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics is a program that focuses on advanced mathematical theory and research methodology. It typically involves conducting original research in a specific area of mathematics and producing a thesis or dissertation as the culmination of the program.

2. What are the requirements for a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics?

The specific requirements for a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics may vary depending on the institution and program, but generally, applicants should have a strong background in mathematics, including a bachelor's or master's degree in the field. They may also need to submit letters of recommendation, a research proposal, and achieve a certain level of academic performance on entrance exams.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics?

A postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as working as a mathematician, researcher, or professor. It can also provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and methods, and the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of the field through original research.

4. How long does it take to complete a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics?

The length of time it takes to complete a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics varies, but it typically takes 2-3 years for a master's degree and 3-5 years for a doctoral degree. This can also depend on the individual's research progress and the specific requirements of their program.

5. Can I pursue a postgraduate by research degree in Mathematics if I do not have a background in the field?

While a strong background in mathematics is typically required for admission to a postgraduate by research program in Mathematics, some institutions may offer preparatory courses for those without a formal background in the field. It is important to research the specific requirements and offerings of the program you are interested in to determine if it is a viable option for you.