Posting Help: Solving System Timeouts

• Thread starter JM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to deal with the time limit when writing a long answer to a post. Solutions include checking the "Remember Me" box when logging in, using a plain text editor to copy and paste the post, and using the browser history to retrieve the post after logging in again. The conversation also touches upon how to format posts with quotes and comments, using the [quote] and [/quote] tags. Finally, the conversation mentions the [nоparse][/nоparse] tags that can be used to format posts in certain situations.
JM
I really need help with posting. When writing a long answer to a post the systems times me out and makes me log in again. sometimes it keeps what I had written and enters it, but just now it erased all of what I had painstakingly created and I need to start all over again. Isnt there some way to transfer something I can write on my word processor, where there is no time limit, to the message box without having to completely re write it?
JM

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever you log in, make sure you check the box "Remember Me". This way you won't get logged out.

Thanks, micromass, I'll try it.

JM said:
Isnt there some way to transfer something I can write on my word processor,

Simply copy and paste. I sometimes do this with long posts, but I use a plain text editor: TextEdit on Mac OS. Notepad or something similar for Windows will do the job just fine.

Also getting back in your browser history can help - most modern browsers remember content of the edit field before submitting it to the site. So after you are logged out and asked to log again - do it, then after being shown an empty edit filed go back in the history till you see the same edit field - but containing your post. Submitting it at this moment should work, as "logged in" cookie is already present.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Now two more things: 1. how do I show a squared symbol without the sup tags showing?22 2. How do I work the multi-qoute so my answer appears in a clear space instead of the shaded space wherre the quote is?
JM

[noparse]102[/noparse] -> 102

[noparse]
This is a quote.
[/noparse] ->

This is a quote.

And text here is not a quote.

->so now is it clear.
Borek said:

[noparse][/noparse] ->
-> 102->

Just practicing to see if I got it.
JM

Borak- Nope I don't got it. Do I add the -> after the sup2sup so the sups don't appear in the posted reply?
What I'm trying to do is to add my comments in a clear area between the sections of quoted material. I don't see how to do it.
JM

JM said:
Borak- Nope I don't got it. Do I add the -> after the sup2sup so the sups don't appear in the posted reply?

His -> is simply a shorthand for "gives you". If you enter the code that he showed before the ->, you should see what he showed after the ->, when the posted message appears on the screen.

What I'm trying to do is to add my comments in a clear area between the sections of quoted material. I don't see how to do it.

When you hit the "quote" button, you get a message-composition window with the quoted message pasted in, with a [noparse]
[/noparse] tag before it and a [noparse]
[/noparse] tag after it. To split it into two quotes and insert your own comments in between:

1. Click at the point where you want to split.

2. Type in a [noparse][/quote][/noparse] tag to end the first section, which starts at the original [noparse]
[/noparse] tag.

3. Type in your comments.

4. Type in a [noparse]
[/noparse] tag to begin the second section, which ends at the original [noparse]
[/noparse] tag.

Edit by Borek: Following comment is no longer true - there are [nоparse][/nоparse] tags that can be used to format posts in such situations. Above part of the post corrected.

Very important note: actual "unquote" tags have a forward slash "/" in them, not a backward slash "\". I had to use backward slashes in my instructions so that the forum software wouldn't interpret them as real quote tags and make hash out of my post. :yuck: So when you do it, replace my backward slashes with forward slashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
His -> is simply a shorthand for "gives you". If you enter the code that he showed before the ->, you should see what he showed after the ->, when the posted message appears on the screen.

When you hit the "quote" button, you get a message-composition window with the quoted message pasted in, with a [noparse][/noparse] tag after it. To split it into two quotes and insert your own comments in between:

1. Click at the point where you want to split.

2. Type in a [noparse]
[/noparse] tag to end the first section, which starts at the original [noparse]
[/noparse] tag.

3. Type in your comments.
I had been using the icons, but now I think to type the breaks myself. Is it working?
4. Type in a [noparse][/noparse] tag.

Edit by Borek: Following comment is no longer true - there are [nоparse][/nоparse] tags that can be used to format posts in such situations. Above part of the post corrected.

Very important note: actual "unquote" tags have a forward slash "/" in them, not a backward slash "\". I had to use backward slashes in my instructions so that the forum software wouldn't interpret them as real quote tags and make hash out of my post. :yuck: So when you do it, replace my backward slashes with forward slashes.

JM said:

No, you're forgetting the / in the last . You should type

Code:
[noparse]10[SUP]2[/SUP][/noparse]

Click on the x2 above your posting window to see what you should do.

Borek said:

[noparse][/noparse] ->

OK the quote part works. But I used uc, let's try lc.

Last edited:
JM said:
OK the quote part works. But I used uc, let's try lc.

Does it have to be italic?

Last edited:
Micromass. Thanks I think I got it now.
JM

jtbell said:
there are [nоparse][/nоparse] tags

Aha, thank you! I wasn't aware of that, and was wondering how you managed to get the tags to show in your post. :biggrin:

1. What is a system timeout?

A system timeout is a mechanism used by computer systems to limit the amount of time a process can take to complete before it is deemed to have failed. This prevents processes from running indefinitely and tying up system resources.

2. What causes system timeouts?

System timeouts can be caused by a variety of factors, including hardware limitations, software errors, network connectivity issues, or high system demand. They can also occur if a process is taking longer than expected to complete.

3. How do I know if a system timeout has occurred?

Usually, when a system timeout occurs, you will receive an error message indicating that the process has timed out. In some cases, the system may also freeze or crash. Additionally, you can check system logs for any indications of a timeout.

4. How can I prevent system timeouts?

To prevent system timeouts, you can try optimizing your system's performance by removing any unnecessary processes or increasing system resources. You can also ensure that your software is up to date and that your network is stable. Additionally, you can set longer timeout periods or implement error-handling mechanisms in your code.

5. How can I troubleshoot and resolve system timeouts?

If you are experiencing frequent system timeouts, you can try restarting your system, checking for any hardware or software issues, and monitoring system performance. You can also consult with technical support or seek assistance from a system administrator or developer to identify and resolve the underlying cause of the timeouts.