Potential Difference between two parallel charged plates.

In summary, to find the potential difference between two equal and opposite charged conducting parallel plates mathematically, you can use the formula V = E*d, where E is the electric field between the plates and d is the distance of separation. This can also be derived by calculating the work done by the electric field and dividing it by the charge moved. The use of integration may also be involved in the solution, but it is a trivial part in this case because of the uniform electric field.
Manu Sarbhoy
How do we find out the potential difference between two equal and opposite charged (conducting) parallel plates mathematically? Let the charge on a plate be 'Q', Total area of a plate be 'A', the distance between the plates be 'd'.
I need a direct mathematical solution please, I've come across various indirect solutions involving the product of the electric field and distance 'd'.

The solution may include use of integration explained in detail.

Please help me with it. My mind has blown off searching books and internet, always getting indirect solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you point to one of these indirect solutions? From what you describe it sounds like you just divide by d to get the direct solution.

I am not sure what you mean by an indirect solution. Usually the solution is derived from the definition of potential. Here are the steps:
1. Take a point charge from one plate to the other, calculate the work done by the electric field, which you know, since you know the charge and the area and the separation.
2. The negative of the work is the change in potential energy.
3. Divide the change in potential energy with the charge that you moved.
That gives the potential difference.

Likes Manu Sarbhoy
By indirect solution i meant,
V= E*d
Where E is the electric field between the two plates.
And d is the distance of separation of plates.
And by a direct solution I meant finding the potential difference just by using the variables, charge Q on the plate, the distance of separation d between the plates and Area A of the plate.
And yeah it may include the use of Integration.
DaleSpam said:
Could you point to one of these indirect solutions? From what you describe it sounds like you just divide by d to get the direct solution.

You are supposed to already know that E = Q/ε0A. So there is no difference between your so called indirect and direct solutions. The integration is a trivial part of the solution, which arises when you calculate the work or potential energy. It is trivial in this case because the electric field is uniform.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference between two parallel charged plates calculated?

Potential difference between two parallel charged plates is calculated by dividing the electric field strength by the distance between the plates. This can be represented by the equation V = Ed, where V is potential difference, E is electric field strength, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the potential difference between two parallel charged plates?

The potential difference between two parallel charged plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the magnitude of the charges on the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. The electric field strength and the area of the plates also play a role.

4. Why is potential difference important in electricity?

Potential difference is important in electricity because it is the driving force that causes electric current to flow. It is also used to measure the amount of energy that can be transferred from an electric source to a load.

5. How does potential difference affect the behavior of charged particles?

Potential difference affects the behavior of charged particles by exerting a force on them. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. The greater the potential difference, the stronger the force and the faster the particles will move.