Potential difference inside a spherical shell

In summary, we are asked to find the potential difference between points b and a in a spherical shell with radius R and uniform charge density sigma. Using the equation \oint E ds = \frac{\int \sigma ds}{\epsilon_{0}} and integrating sigma ds over the surface area of the top half of the shell, we get a total surface area of 2pi r^2. This allows us to solve for E, which is uniform along the surface, and use -\int E dl to find the potential difference. Alternatively, we can directly integrate the potential using V(r) = C * ∫ σ(r')*da'/[r - r'].
warfreak131

Homework Statement

A top half of a spherical shell has radius R and uniform charge density sigma. Find the potential difference V(b)-V(a) between point b at the north pole, and point a at the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\oint E ds = \frac{\int \sigma ds}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

I integrated sigma ds from 0 to 2pi and 0 to pi/2, and got the total surface area as 2pi r^2. Now I want to solve for E, and then use [itex]-\int E dl[/itex] to give me the potential difference, but what does the left hand side of my original equation equal?

E is uniform along the surface, so I can pull it out of the integral and be left with the integral of ds. But wouldn't that be 2pir^2 as well? I'd be left with E=sigma/epsilon0

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be easier to integrate the potential directly?

V(r) = C * ∫ σ(r')*da'/[r - r']

1. What is potential difference inside a spherical shell?

The potential difference inside a spherical shell is the difference in electric potential between two points within the shell. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit of positive charge from one point to another inside the shell.

2. How is potential difference inside a spherical shell calculated?

The potential difference inside a spherical shell can be calculated using the formula V= kQ/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance between the two points.

3. Is potential difference inside a spherical shell constant?

Yes, potential difference inside a spherical shell is constant for all points within the shell. This is because the electric field inside a conducting shell is zero, so the potential difference is the same at all points.

4. What factors affect the potential difference inside a spherical shell?

The potential difference inside a spherical shell is affected by the charge of the shell and the distance between the two points inside the shell. It is also affected by the surrounding electric field and the material of the shell.

5. Can potential difference inside a spherical shell be negative?

Yes, potential difference inside a spherical shell can be negative. This indicates that the electric potential decreases as one moves from one point to another inside the shell. This can occur when the charge of the shell is negative or when there is an external electric field present.