Exploring the Role of Gravity in Spring Potential Energy: A Scientific Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the rules of the forum regarding the use of images and the consideration of gravity in an equation. The individual was reminded to only use images for book extracts and diagrams and was also advised to include gravity in their equation for accurate results.
NickStar
Homework Statement
The weight is falling from a height of 1 meter. Then it touches a spring and it contracts. The weight of a body is 2 kg and k of the spring is 100 N/m.
1) What's the maximum contraction of the spring
The answer is supposed to be 0.852m(I got 0.392m)
Relevant Equations
E=1/2kx2
Снимок экрана 2019-12-31 в 13.01.15.png
IMG_4181.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your writing is not clear enough to be posting as images. Forum rules request you only use images for book extracts and diagrams.
Did you take into account that gravity does not stop acting when the mass hits the spring?
You do not need to find the impact speed. Just work with energy, end to end.

Likes NickStar
haruspex said:
Your writing is not clear enough to be posting as images. Forum rules request you only use images for book extracts and diagrams.
Did you take into account that gravity does not stop acting when the mass hits the spring?
You do not need to find the impact speed. Just work with energy, end to end.
Thank you, I didn't put gravity to my equation. After I did, I got the right result.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or configuration. It is often associated with the ability of an object to do work or create change.

2. What is a spring's potential energy?

A spring's potential energy is the energy stored within a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is a form of elastic potential energy and is dependent on the spring's stiffness and displacement.

3. How is potential energy related to a spring's stiffness?

The potential energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the spring's stiffness. This means that a stiffer spring will have a greater potential energy compared to a less stiff spring, for the same amount of displacement.

4. What factors affect the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is affected by its stiffness, the amount of displacement, and the mass attached to the spring. The more the spring is stretched or compressed, and the heavier the mass attached, the greater the potential energy will be.

5. How is potential energy converted into other forms of energy in a spring system?

When a spring is released, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring and attached mass begin to move. Friction and air resistance may also convert some of the potential energy into heat energy. In some cases, the potential energy of a spring may also be converted into electrical energy, such as in a spring-powered clock.