Potential energy and electrostatic forces

In summary, the potential energy due to electrostatic forces of a uniformly charged sphere of radius R and total charge Q is given by the formula 3Q^2/5R. To derive this formula, one can break the sphere into thin spherical shells and calculate the potential energy between each shell and the rest of the sphere. This can be done by using the Coulomb force equation, F = kQ1Q2/r^2, and integrating over all the shells in the sphere. It is important to study the principles and equations of electrostatics carefully, as well as working through example problems, to fully understand this concept.
A_I_
show that the potential energy due to electrostatic forces of uniformly charged sphere of radius R and total charge Q is:

3Q^2/5R

i don't even know how to start??
i really don't want to hate physics:frown: :frown: :frown:

i was reading through in my textbook and they only gave us the formula, and they didn't say anything about how to derive it.
In the notes, the professor did NOT say anything about that...

HELP,
give me hints.. :)

HELP!

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Carve the sphere up into thin spherical shells of thickness = dr and radius r (0<r<R)
2. Calculate the potential energy between one such shell and all (the rest) of the sphere - do all parts of the "rest of the sphere" contribute a potential at the position of the chosen shell ?
3. Integrate over all the shells in the sphere.

Make a start, and see if you can take it all the way.

the problem is that i don't know the formula of the potential energy when we are dealing with charges :(

i know E=mgh where mg is the force and h is the distance.
If we put F (coulomb force) to be the force in this problem, and r? to be the distance, and then we integrate it??it still doesn't make any sense? :(

Thanks for the help again :)

A_I_ said:
the problem is that i don't know the formula of the potential energy when we are dealing with charges :(
This is covered in your text. Look it up. Do you know the equation for the force between charges ?

yes F = kQ1Q2/r where K is the coulomb constant :)

But Still i didnt find the formula :(

any hint? :)

A_I_ said:
yes F = kQ1Q2/r where K is the coulomb constant :)
Actually, F = kQ1Q2/r^2 is the equation for the force. The equation for the energy is given by
E = kQ1Q2/r
But Still i didnt find the formula :(

any hint? :)
The best advice I can give you is start at the beginning of this chapter (Electrostatics) and study it carefully solving all the worked examples along the way.

PS : What is your textbook ?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is a form of stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy related to electrostatic forces?

Electrostatic forces are a type of potential energy that exists between charged particles. When charged particles are close together, they have a high potential energy, and as they move further apart, their potential energy decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object from a reference point.

4. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion often occurs when an object moves or changes position.

5. How can potential energy and electrostatic forces be used in everyday life?

Potential energy and electrostatic forces have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, they are used in the generation of electricity through hydroelectric power plants, in the functioning of batteries, and in the attraction and repulsion of magnets.