Potential energy incline problem

In summary, the problem involves a system of two blocks connected by a string and a spring. The 20 kg block is pulled down an incline and released from rest, causing the 30 kg block to be lifted and the spring to be stretched. The task is to find the speed of each block when the 30 kg block is 20 cm above the floor, taking into account the forces acting on both blocks. The solution involves using the equations for kinetic energy and potential energy, and considering the forces acting on both blocks in the stretched position.
xjasonx1

Homework Statement

A 20.0 kg block is connected to a 30.0 kg block by a string that passes over a light frictionless pulley. The 30.0 kg block is connected to a spring that has negligible mass and a force constant of 300 N/m, as shown in Figure P7.53. The spring is unstretched when the system is as shown in the figure, and the incline is frictionless. The 20.0 kg block is pulled 18.0 cm down the incline (so that the 30.0 kg block is 38.0 cm above the floor) and released from rest. Find the speed of each block when the 30.0 kg block is 20.0 cm above the floor (that is, when the spring is unstretched).
http://www.webassign.net/sj/p7-45.gif"

Homework Equations

Ki + Ui = Kf +Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

0 + (30)g(.18m) = 1/2(M + m) v^2 + (20)(g)(.18)(sin40)

I solved for v but the answer was not correct. I am not sure what I did wrong. I did not include any spring potential force because it was asking for the speed right when the 30kg block hits the spring so the spring has not yet been compressed so there is no spring potential energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your attempt, you have not used spring constant.
What are the forces acting on the 30 kg block is the stretched position?
What are the forces acting on the 20 kg during that time?

For me, the problem can be interpreted in two ways.
1. Calculating the speed right when it touches the spring so there is no spring compression yet.
2. the block compresses the spring resulting in a spring potential force.
Okay I understand now thank you rl.bhat

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. What is an incline problem?

An incline problem is a physics problem that involves an object moving on an inclined plane or surface. It usually involves calculating the potential energy, kinetic energy, and work done by or on the object.

3. How do you calculate potential energy in an incline problem?

To calculate potential energy in an incline problem, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object above a reference point. The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

4. How does the angle of incline affect potential energy?

The angle of incline can affect potential energy by changing the height of the object above a reference point. The higher the angle of incline, the higher the potential energy as the object is raised to a greater height. This means that the steeper the incline, the more potential energy the object has.

5. What other factors can affect potential energy in an incline problem?

Other factors that can affect potential energy in an incline problem include the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the presence of any external forces, such as friction. Additionally, the type of surface the object is moving on can also affect the potential energy, as a rough surface may cause more friction and decrease the potential energy of the object.