Potential energy of a string question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring with a spring constant of 3200 N/m and an initial elastic potential energy of 1.44J. The goal is to find the change in elastic potential energy when the initial stretch is changed to 2.0 cm, compressed by 2.0 cm, and compressed by 4.0 cm. The correct answer is -0.80J, which is found by subtracting the final elastic potential energy from the initial elastic potential energy. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the question and its intended meaning in physics problems.
genu

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant of 3200 N/m is initially stretched until the elastic potential energy is 1.44J. (U=0 for no stretch) What is the change in the elastic potential energy if the initial stretch is changed to

a) a stretch of 2.0 cm,
b) a compression of 2.0 cm,
c) a compression of 4.0 cm?

Homework Equations

U = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

u=(3200N/m(0.002m)^2)/2
u=0.64

correct answer = -.80

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You calculated the potential energy when the spring is stretched to 2.00cm. The problem was to find the change of the potential energy, you got the correct answer for the stretch you just need to do a bit more with it to find the change of PE.

its a bit confusing, because it says "the elastic potential energy if the initial stretch is changed to..", so I assumed that they wanted the potential energy from 0 to the specified x...but I see now...

How do I know which way to substract though? is 1.44 considered Ui and x=2.0 cm considered Uf, and then it would be Uf - Ui = -0.80 J?

genu. you did that correctly and I think that true also that Uf-Ui is the answer

genu said:
its a bit confusing, because it says "the elastic potential energy if the initial stretch is changed to..", so I assumed that they wanted the potential energy from 0 to the specified x...but I see now...

That's so true. Sometimes the biggest problem with physics questions is what the question means.

great..thx for the help

Kruum said:
That's so true. Sometimes the biggest problem with physics questions is what the question means.

ya because problems always confuse and try to divert attention from actual meaning

1. What is potential energy of a string?

Potential energy of a string refers to the energy that is stored in a string when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is a result of the tension in the string and can be released when the string is allowed to return to its original state.

2. How is potential energy of a string calculated?

The potential energy of a string can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant of the string, and x is the displacement of the string from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a string?

The potential energy of a string can be affected by the length of the string, the tension in the string, and the displacement of the string from its equilibrium position. The greater these factors are, the higher the potential energy of the string will be.

4. How does potential energy of a string relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are forms of mechanical energy that can be interchanged. When a string is released, the potential energy stored in it is converted into kinetic energy, causing the string to vibrate or move.

5. What is the significance of potential energy of a string in real life?

Potential energy of a string has many real-life applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and violins, where the strings are stretched and released to produce sound. It is also used in engineering and construction, where tension in strings or cables is utilized to support structures.