Potential energy of an object due to two other objects

In summary, we discussed the concept of potential energy and its relation to the gravitational force between objects. We also explored the formal definition of potential energy as the work done to bring a mass from infinity. Finally, we looked at the potential energy of a combined system relative to its center of mass.
ManishR
consider object A with mass [tex]m_{A}[/tex]and inertial positional vector [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{A}}[/tex]

object B with mass [tex]m_{B}[/tex]and inertial positional vector [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{B}}[/tex]

object A with mass [tex]m_{C}[/tex]and inertial positional vector [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{C}}[/tex]

[tex]m_{A}\frac{d}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{A}}=\overrightarrow{F}{}_{AB}+\overrightarrow{F}{}_{AC}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex][tex]m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{A}}=G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}})+G\frac{m_{A}m_{C}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{C}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}})[/tex]

to get potential energy due to B and C, lhs and rhs need to be integrated with a non inertial positional vector. and i don't what that vector is.

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ManishR! :wink:

I don't understand what you're doing :confused:

potential energy is additive, so just find the PE from each object separately (proportional to 1/r), and add. :smile:

hello tiny-tim :)

let me show you how i derive potential energy of A due to B. (note there are just two objects A & B now)

[tex]m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{A}}=\overrightarrow{F_{A}}=G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\left(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right)+m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{B}}=G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\left(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right)-\frac{m_{A}}{m_{B}}\overrightarrow{F_{A}}=G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\left(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right)=\left(1+\frac{m_{A}}{m_{B}}\right)G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}})[/tex]

let [tex]\overrightarrow{r}=\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\int_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r}.d\overrightarrow{r}=\int_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}\left(1+\frac{m_{A}}{m_{B}}\right)G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{A}}-\overrightarrow{r_{B}}).d\overrightarrow{r}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v^{2}\right|_{v(\overrightarrow{r_{1}})}^{v(\overrightarrow{r_{2}})}=\left.G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r}\right|_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}[/tex]

so lhs and rhs are integrated with a non inertial positonal vector (because it point from a non inertial frame)ps. while rewriting the proof i may have got the answer. so let me organize my thoughts.i will post the answer if it is the answer

Last edited:
EDIT 1 (More Mathematical Version)

[tex]\int_{\overrightarrow{r_{i}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{f}}}\left(m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{A}}\right).d\overrightarrow{r}=\int_{\overrightarrow{r_{i}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{f}}}\left(G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{B}}-\overrightarrow{r_{A}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{B}}-\overrightarrow{r_{A}})+G\frac{m_{A}m_{C}}{\left|\overrightarrow{r_{C}}-\overrightarrow{r_{A}}\right|^{3}}(\overrightarrow{r_{C}}-\overrightarrow{r_{A}})\right).d\overrightarrow{r}[/tex] ...[2]

questions

a) what is [tex]\overrightarrow{r}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{A}}[/tex],[tex]\overrightarrow{r_{B}}[/tex]or [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{C}}[/tex] ?

b) solve equ [2].

i have gone through many books (and studied few of them) but i have not seen anything like [tex]m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})[/tex]. am i doing something wrong here (quite sure) or was there some hidden assumption that i did not get.

Hello ManishR! :smile:

But there's an mA on both sides of …
ManishR said:
[tex]\Rightarrow\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v^{2}\right|_{v(\overrightarrow{r_{1}})}^{v(\overrightarrow{r_{2}})}=\left.G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r}\right|_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}[/tex]

… so they cancel, leaving (mA + mB).

(but I still don't follow why you're not just using potentials all through)

How do i do that ?

What is formal definition of potential energy ?

i think have not understood potential energy yet

The formal definition is that gravitational potential energy is the work done to bring the mass from infinity.

(and gravitational potential is the work done to bring a unit mass from infinity)

So gravitational PE of a mass m is -GmM/r, and gravitational potential is -GM/r.

(The gradient (d/dr) is the gravitational force, GmM/r2)

And gravitational potential of a combined system relative to its centre of mass is -G(MA+MB)/r (which is the question you've been answering).

tiny-tim said:
The formal definition is that gravitational potential energy is the work done to bring the mass from infinity.

(and gravitational potential is the work done to bring a unit mass from infinity)

So gravitational PE of a mass m is -GmM/r, and gravitational potential is -GM/r.

let say i want to know the potential energy of [tex]m_{A}[/tex]due to [tex]m_{B}[/tex].

then according to above defination,

[tex]P.E.=-G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{r}[/tex]
where r is distance between [tex]m_{A}[/tex]and [tex]m_{B}[/tex].

if this is potential energy then it cannot be equal to difference of kinertic energy of [tex]m_{A}[/tex] from [tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]r[/tex] .

then i don't understand which potential energy we are talking about in kinetic potential energy theoram.

tiny-tim said:
And gravitational potential of a combined system relative to its centre of mass is -G(MA+MB)/r (which is the question you've been answering).

now its getting more confusing.

what i have understood from your defination, there has to be another third obect to calculate the potential energy of system (cause the distance between center of mass of system and center of mass of other third object is to be calculated to evaluate p.e. of system) but there isnt.

ManishR said:
if this is potential energy then it cannot be equal to difference of kinertic energy of [tex]m_{A}[/tex] from [tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]r[/tex] .

Yes it is, because at r = ∞ the PE is zero. :smile:
what i have understood from your defination, there has to be another third obect to calculate the potential energy of system (cause the distance between center of mass of system and center of mass of other third object is to be calculated to evaluate p.e. of system) but there isnt.

The "third" object is the system made of A and B combined. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes it is, because at r = ∞ the PE is zero. :smile:

no. its not.

[tex]\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v_{0}^{2}\right|_{v_{0}(\overrightarrow{r_{0i}})}^{v_{0}(\overrightarrow{r_{0f}})}=\left.G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r_{0}}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{0i}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{0f}}}[/tex]

tiny-tim said:
The "third" object is the system made of A and B combined. :wink:

then distance between center of mass of system (of A and B) and center of mass of same system is zero.

again confused.

ManishR said:
no. its not.

sorry, not following you :confused:

if I'm understanding your notation correctly , then at r0 = r0f = ∞, 1/r0 is zero
then distance between center of mass of system (of A and B) and center of mass of same system is zero.

gravitational potential and potential energy are positive scalars, not vectors …

if two bodies are on opposite sides of a star, their potentials won't cancel out, they'll add, won't they? :wink:

(technically: centre of mass only works with vectors)

A and B are both away from the combined centre of mass, so you add their potentials :smile:

tiny-tim said:
sorry, not following you :confused:

if I'm understanding your notation correctly , then at r0 = r0f = ∞, 1/r0 is zero

earlier you said that

kinetic energy of [tex]m_{A}[/tex] from [tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]r[/tex] = -[tex]G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v(r)^{2}=-G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{r}[/tex]

but i said its not, as i have proved earlier

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v(r)^{2}=-G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r}[/tex]

tiny-tim said:
gravitational potential and potential energy are positive scalars, not vectors …

if two bodies are on opposite sides of a star, their potentials won't cancel out, they'll add, won't they? :wink:

(technically: centre of mass only works with vectors)

A and B are both away from the combined centre of mass, so you add their potentials :smile:

according your formal defination of p.e.
to calculate p.e. of the system we need third object
but you are saying system of particle A and B is the third object. (i am not quite sure, what do you mean by that)
ok p.e. of third object means p.e of the system
so again it does not answer where from the distance is to be measured to calculate the p.e of the system (or the third object).

sorry for that. i misunderstood it for something else.

actually the p.e. of the system is still undefined (as there is no other object)

ManishR said:
earlier you said that …

But that is the same as I said …

in your formula, cancel mA on both sides, and you're left with a formula identical to mine except that yours has (mA+mB) where mine only has mB, because you're considering the potential caused by the whole system, and I was considering the potential caused only by B.
according your formal defination of p.e.
to calculate p.e. of the system we need third object
but you are saying system of particle A and B is the third object. (i am not quite sure, what do you mean by that)

I was using your terminology …

I could see what you meant by the "third" object, but it's not a phrase I'd normally use myself (which was the reason for my "" marks).

To calculate the PE of a system we need to define our reference configuration (of zero potential) …

that's usually the configuration of one object being at the origin, and everything else being at infinity.

For your (mA+mB) system, the zero potential is of both masses being at infinity in opposite directions, but with their centre of mass at the origin.

(and all distances are measured from the centre of mass, fixed at the origing)

Hi Tiny tim ! i am a lay man interested to solve a dilema in the above topics:
If we take a distance d = C*1 / (2*pi /alpha) and the formula Epotential = ! g*M^2 / d! then there is not any common elementary particle to satisfy Epot. > h*t .
Only M = Mplank * (alpha)^ -0.5 satisfy this equation.
Where i am wrong?

tiny-tim said:
But that is the same as I said …

in your formula, cancel mA on both sides, and you're left with a formula identical to mine except that yours has (mA+mB) where mine only has mB, because you're considering the potential caused by the whole system, and I was considering the potential caused only by B.

let me tell what i mean by potential energy of an object.

lets consider postional variable [tex]\overrightarrow{r}[/tex]. ([tex]\overrightarrow{r}[/tex] has to defined, before using it)

P.E. of an object from [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{1}}[/tex] to [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{A}\left|\frac{d}{dt}\overrightarrow{r}\right|^{2}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}[/tex]

so if there is only two object in the universe [tex]m_{A}[/tex] and [tex]m_{B}[/tex] then

P.E. of [tex]m_{A}[/tex]from [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{1}}[/tex] to [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\left.G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}[/tex]

because [tex]\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v^{2}\right|_{v(\overrightarrow{r_{1}})}^{v(\overrightarrow{r_{2}})}=\left.G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}[/tex]

in this case is your version of potential energy equal to kinetic energy ?

no, because

your version of P.E. of [tex]m_{A}[/tex]from [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{1}}[/tex] to [tex]\overrightarrow{r_{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\left.G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{r}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\left.G\frac{m_{A}(m_{A}+m_{B})}{r}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}\neq\left.G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{r}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\left.G\frac{m_{A}m_{B}}{r}\right|_{\overrightarrow{r_{1}}}^{\overrightarrow{r_{2}}}\neq\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{A}v^{2}\right|_{v(\overrightarrow{r_{1}})}^{v(\overrightarrow{r_{2}})}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]your version of P.E. is not equal to kinetic energy.

Last edited:
I don't understand what your r r1 and r2 are. :confused:

tiny-tim said:
I don't understand what your r r1 and r2 are. :confused:

in general its postional vector (thats how i defined it so far)

and (so) in two body case its [tex]\overrightarrow{r}=\overrightarrow{r_{B}}-\overrightarrow{r_{A}}[/tex]
r1 - is initial value
r2 - is final value

But then the KE of A is not mA(dr/dt)2/2 (it's only mA(drA/dt)2/2). :redface:

tiny-tim said:
But then the KE of A is not mA(dr/dt)2/2 (it's only mA(drA/dt)2/2). :redface:

just to make sure
you know that
[tex]m_{A}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{A}}=\overrightarrow{F_{A}}[/tex] right ?

yes

but your proof used r instead of rA

tiny-tim said:
yes

oh i misunderstood kinetic energy i used to think that
ke of m = (mv2)/2 v is speed between m and the other object(s), which is fixed in two body system , but not fixed in three body or more (which distance to take).

just to make sure (so i don't misunderstand it again)
if [tex]m\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r}=\overrightarrow{F}[/tex]

where [tex]\overrightarrow{F}[/tex] is the total force on m. Note [tex]\overrightarrow{r}[/tex] is position of m from inertial frame. so its not same variable that i used in earlier posts.

then K.E. of m = [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex] where [tex]v=|\vec{v}|=|\frac{d}{dt}\overrightarrow{r}|[/tex]

yes, the kinetic energy measured in a particular frame is a half mass times speed squared measured in that frame :smile:

thank you so much tiny-tim.

Related to Potential energy of an object due to two other objects

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration.

2. How is potential energy related to two other objects?

Potential energy of an object can be influenced by the presence of two other objects, either through their position or their interaction with the object in question.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of an object due to two other objects?

The factors that affect potential energy include the distance between the objects, the mass of the objects, and the type of force acting between them.

4. How is the potential energy of an object calculated?

The potential energy of an object due to two other objects can be calculated using the formula PE = G(m1m2)/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

5. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy of an object due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of an object influenced by two other objects, potential energy is present when the objects are stationary, while kinetic energy is present when the objects are in motion.