Is the potential in this quadrupole setup correct?

• Thread starter beardo34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged particle in a two-dimensional quadrupole with a given electric potential. The question is raised about the correctness of the potential, as it seems to have units of Volts*meters instead of just Volts. It is suggested to ask the professor for clarification.
beardo34
Hello,

I have a problem where a charged particle is residing in a two dimensional quadrupole where the electric potential is given by ψ(x,y,t) = (V/ro)*(x^2 + y^2)*Cos(Ωt). Where we are supposed to use the values V = 150 volts, ro (which is the distance from the center to one of the surface walls) = 3mm, and Ω = 500,000 Hz.

My question is, is that potential the correct potential? It looks to me like the above potential gives units of Volts*meters instead of the correct units of Volts. Am I confused or should I say something to my professor? (I feel like the potential should be ψ(x,y,t) = (V/ro)*Sqrt(x^2 + y^2)*Cos(Ωt)

I appreciate the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks wrong to me. Ask your professor for clarification.

thanks for responding vela

1. What is potential in a quadrupole?

Potential in a quadrupole refers to the electrostatic potential energy that exists within a quadrupole field. This potential is created by the interaction of two sets of electric dipoles that are oriented in opposite directions and vary in strength.

2. How is potential in a quadrupole calculated?

The potential in a quadrupole can be calculated using the formula V = kq/r^2, where V is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the particles, and r is the distance between the particles.

3. What is the significance of potential in a quadrupole in physics?

Potential in a quadrupole is important in understanding the behavior of particles in electric fields. It is used to calculate the force on particles and to analyze the stability of particle beams in accelerators. It also has applications in mass spectrometry and ion trapping.

4. How does potential in a quadrupole affect the motion of particles?

The potential in a quadrupole can either confine or guide the motion of charged particles depending on their charge and the orientation of the field. It can also cause the particles to oscillate in a stable orbit within the quadrupole field.

5. Can potential in a quadrupole be manipulated?

Yes, potential in a quadrupole can be manipulated by changing the strength and orientation of the electric dipoles. This can be done by adjusting the voltage or current in the quadrupole electrodes.