Potential physics Major-consfused

In summary: I do not want to major in physics and hate it.andI believe that if I majored in physics and worked hard i could do well.In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's interest in pursuing a career in medical physics and their concerns about the difficulty of first year physics courses in university. They had previously shadowed a medical physicist and found it interesting, but were unsure if they would enjoy studying physics in depth. The expert advises that in order to become a medical physicist, one must have a strong foundation in physics and suggests taking a general science first year to see if it is a good fit. It is also mentioned that if the individual does
vicsic
I am currently in high school and am decided what career to pursue. I shadowed a medical physicist for a day and found it to be quite interesting. After doing more research I discovered that usually an undergraduate degree in physics is needed to pursue further studies in med phys. I am taking AP physics now and am doing pretty well <80%. I enjoy physics but find it to still be a bit of a challenge! It is all algebra based, and I will be doing my first calc class next semester. What i am wondering is what is first year physics in university for a physics major like? Is it insanely hard? and hard to get good grades in? I have heard that once HS students start to do calculus based physics it becomes easier. I do not want to major in physics and hate it. I believe that if I majored in physics and worked hard i could do well. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
The first and second year of physics at my school is a somewhat more in-depth coverage of material you found in your high school class - and by somewhat I mean "significantly more rigorous", covering more topics at greater depth using more advanced mathematics. You take your mathematics and general education courses and prepare for the really hard classes.

I can't see your first year being particularly difficult. I took the same classes the physics majors take, and they were certainly challenging, but in a very pleasant way. But if you find challenge unpleasant, then turn back, traveler - there be dragons ahead, particularly in the Land of the Junior and the Kingdom of Senior.

It's difficult to say how difficult you will find a first year physics course. For some students it is a lot of review, others "must unlearn."

To become a medical physicist you have to study physics. It is possible to get in with other degrees, but these are degrees such as engineering physics or physical chemisty - which contain the core physics courses with some slightly difference options. So when I see this sentence:
I do not want to major in physics and hate it.
I think you'll have a hard time pursuing anything physics-related.

One option is to take a general science first year that includes a first year physics course. If it turns out you enjoy it and do well in it, you'll be in a position to pursue physics as a degree.

If you hate physics and do not want to major in it, you will have a VERY hard time becoming a medical physicist. Even if you decided to do engineering physics or physical chemistry, they are still, at their core, physics-based. So saying you want to do medical physics but you hate physics is like saying you want to be an engineer but you hate calculations and designing things.

I would advise you to pick a different career. Maybe a doctor. They don't do too much physics last I checked.

I think you'll have a hard time pursuing anything physics-related.

I'm thinking this was a miscommunication. I think the intention, given the rest of the post, was that he didn't want to major in physics only to end up hating it. Evidence from his post:

I enjoy physics

1. What is potential physics major-confused?

Potential physics major-confused refers to someone who is considering majoring in physics but is unsure or confused about the field and what it entails.

2. What is the difference between physics and other sciences?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while other sciences such as biology and chemistry focus on specific aspects of the natural world. Physics provides a foundational understanding of how the universe works and is often considered the most fundamental science.

3. What are the career options for a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career options, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and more. Many physics majors also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, astronomy, or engineering.

4. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong understanding of fundamental principles. However, with dedication and hard work, students can excel in the field and find it rewarding.

5. What skills do I need to succeed as a physics major?

To succeed as a physics major, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Additionally, having a passion for understanding the natural world and a curiosity for how things work can also be beneficial. Good study habits and time management skills are also important for success in any major.