1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential physics Major-consfused

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    I am currently in high school and am decided what career to pursue. I shadowed a medical physicist for a day and found it to be quite interesting. After doing more research I discovered that usually an undergraduate degree in physics is needed to pursue further studies in med phys. I am taking AP physics now and am doing pretty well <80%. I enjoy physics but find it to still be a bit of a challenge! It is all algebra based, and I will be doing my first calc class next semester. What i am wondering is what is first year physics in university for a physics major like? Is it insanely hard? and hard to get good grades in? I have heard that once HS students start to do calculus based physics it becomes easier. I do not want to major in physics and hate it. I believe that if I majored in physics and worked hard i could do well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2
    The first and second year of physics at my school is a somewhat more in-depth coverage of material you found in your high school class - and by somewhat I mean "significantly more rigorous", covering more topics at greater depth using more advanced mathematics. You take your mathematics and general education courses and prepare for the really hard classes.

I can't see your first year being particularly difficult. I took the same classes the physics majors take, and they were certainly challenging, but in a very pleasant way. But if you find challenge unpleasant, then turn back, traveler - there be dragons ahead, particularly in the Land of the Junior and the Kingdom of Senior.

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's difficult to say how difficult you will find a first year physics course. For some students it is a lot of review, others "must unlearn."

To become a medical physicist you have to study physics. It is possible to get in with other degrees, but these are degrees such as engineering physics or physical chemisty - which contain the core physics courses with some slightly difference options. So when I see this sentence:
    I think you'll have a hard time pursuing anything physics-related.

One option is to take a general science first year that includes a first year physics course. If it turns out you enjoy it and do well in it, you'll be in a position to pursue physics as a degree.

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4
    If you hate physics and do not want to major in it, you will have a VERY hard time becoming a medical physicist. Even if you decided to do engineering physics or physical chemistry, they are still, at their core, physics-based. So saying you want to do medical physics but you hate physics is like saying you want to be an engineer but you hate calculations and designing things.

I would advise you to pick a different career. Maybe a doctor. They don't do too much physics last I checked.

6. Jan 10, 2012 #5
    I'm thinking this was a miscommunication. I think the intention, given the rest of the post, was that he didn't want to major in physics only to end up hating it. Evidence from his post:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook