Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential theory for water waves

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    hi :)

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanic...s-fall-2009/course-text/MIT2_017JF09_ch06.pdf

In page 37 they use newton's 2nd law for a fluid element (while ignoring viscous forces) to derive the bernoulli equation for unsteady flow.

Well, what I am confused about is the last step: They integrate through the x direction, y direction and then z direction to get 3 separate bernoulli equations,,, but then they just add it all up to one??? I don't understand the mathematics behind this as I'm completely new to potential theory.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2
    Furthermore, on page 40 they equate the dynamical pressure {for waterwaves} to be equal to the change in the potential function?? To see what I mean:

From this (Bernoulli) ##p + 0.5 \rho V^2 (\approx 0) + \rho g z +\rho \frac{\partial(\phi)}{\partial(z)} = C##, they go to this: ##p_d = p+\rho g z = -\rho \frac{\partial(\phi)}{\partial(z)}##

How did they do that?

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    This is nothing mysterious, it is just that z=0 for the equations in [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{y}[/itex], so that equation works for all three cases. If that doesn't make sense, do the three integrals and compare the results.

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It works through "The first force balance (x direction)" and gets to the result

"Bermouilli forrmula" = ##C_1## when y and z are constant

The same process in the y direction gives
    "Bermouilli forrmula" = ##C_2## when z and x are constant

and in the z direction
    "Bermouilli forrmula" + ##\rho g z## = ##C_3## when x and y are constant

But ##\rho g z## is a constant when z is constant, so you can merge it into ##C_1## and ##C_2##.

In other words the final equation is actually valid in the x, y, and z directions.

This seems like a tortuous way to get to the result, but I guess that depends what you already know and what the teaching objectives for this part of the course are.

6. Dec 1, 2013 #5
    Oh how stupid of me. This is just the same as integrating partial derivatives of a function and then comparing the results to find the actual function. OK, thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook