Water Potential Theory Derivation: Xylem & Biomechanics Project Help

In summary, the speaker is seeking a full mathematical derivation of Water Potential theory, specifically in tree Xylem, for a biomechanics project. They have searched extensively but have only found qualitative descriptions and are now looking for recommendations for books or courses. A suggestion is made for Milne-Thomson's Theoretical Hydrodynamics, with a link to a pdf version. It is noted that the book may not be entirely relevant, so the table of contents should be checked beforehand.
Medicago
I need a full derivation of Water Potential theory, specifically in tree Xylem, but any general derivation and explanation would be acceptable.

I've looked everywhere, the entire library in my university, and hours in google, but I can only find qualitative descriptions. I need the full mathematical derivation of the equations. I know there are relevant courses but I need this for a biomechanics project I'm working on.

Anyone know of any good books? Anyone take a course in this and has any useful information? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Milne-Thomson's Theoretical Hydrodynamics. You can find a pdf here:

http://archive.org/details/theoreticalhydro033283mbp

Edit: I assumed you wanted information about potential flow, but googling a bit more indicates it may not be the case, so check the table of contents to see if you can use something :)

Related to Water Potential Theory Derivation: Xylem & Biomechanics Project Help

1. What is water potential theory and why is it important in xylem and biomechanics?

Water potential theory is a concept that explains the movement of water in plants and the forces that drive this movement. It is important in xylem and biomechanics because it helps us understand how water is transported from the roots to the leaves and how this process affects the structural integrity of the plant.

2. How is water potential calculated?

Water potential is calculated by using the formula ψ = ψs + ψp, where ψ is water potential, ψs is solute potential, and ψp is pressure potential. Solute potential is determined by the concentration of solutes in the solution, while pressure potential is determined by the physical pressure applied to the solution.

3. What is the role of xylem in water potential theory?

Xylem is the tissue responsible for transporting water and dissolved nutrients from the roots to the rest of the plant. In water potential theory, xylem plays a crucial role in creating negative pressure, or tension, that helps in the movement of water through the plant.

4. How does water potential theory explain the ascent of water in plants?

The ascent of water in plants is explained by the cohesive and adhesive forces of water molecules, as well as the negative pressure created by transpiration in the leaves. This negative pressure, also known as tension, pulls water up through the xylem from the roots to the leaves.

5. What is the relationship between water potential and plant growth?

Water potential plays a significant role in plant growth, as it affects the movement of water and nutrients in the plant. If the water potential within the plant is too low, the plant may wilt and eventually die. On the other hand, if the water potential is too high, it can lead to reduced nutrient uptake and hinder plant growth.