1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and Energy

1. Jun 5, 2006 #1
    I have two questions
    a)Water flows over a waterfall of height 75m of volume flow rate 6.0ms-1 and then lands in a pool below.
    Outline the energy changes that take place

b)It is suggested that installing a turbine of the waterfall could provide a source of electrical energy. Estimate the power that might be available, stating one assumption that you make.
    (The denstity of water= 1000 m-3)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you have any thoughts/ideas on this problem? You need to show your work to get help.

4. Jun 5, 2006 #3
    for sure i thought about it but i dont know...

5. Jun 5, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you mind posting what you have done thus far? The guidlines of these forums state clearly that one should show one's work before receiveing assistance.

6. Jun 5, 2006 #5
    actually first i thought what energy transfer and i put 75/6 and but then i thought you just have to explain meaning that it goes from vaporisation to convection

7. Jun 5, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What :confused: ?? I was thinking more along the lines of potential energy ---> kinetic energy?

8. Jun 5, 2006 #7
    ho yeh so actually the energy changes are from potential energy ---> kinetic energy, so thats actually the answer...
    thank you

9. Jun 5, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are your thoughts for question (b)...?

10. Jun 5, 2006 #9
    for question B i thought that because they have to install a turbine, looking that the density of water is 1000 than you have to do 1000/6 which is the flow rate so then to find the estimated power

11. Jun 5, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have just basically rephrased the question there :rolleyes: . Here's a hint: Think about mass and the relationship in question (a).

12. Jun 5, 2006 #11
    yeh but what do you to find the power

13. Jun 5, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT Power is the rate at which energy is transfered;

[tex]P = \frac{dE}{dt}[/tex]

14. Jun 6, 2006 #13
    ok got it thank you

15. Jun 6, 2006 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?