Calculating Power and Range of a Bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial kinetic energy of a bullet and how to estimate the average power delivered during firing as well as finding the range of the projectile when fired at an angle that equals the maximum height. The formula for average power is discussed and there is uncertainty about how to find the maximum height without knowing the angle.
daivinhtran

Homework Statement

The initial kinetic energy imparted to a 0.0190 kg bullet is 1008 J.
(a) Assuming it accelerated down a 1.00 m long rifle barrel, estimate the average power delivered to it during the firing.

(b) Neglecting air resistance, find the range of this projectile when it is fired at an angle such that the range equals the maximum height attained.
km

Homework Equations

KE = (mv^2)/2
P = dW/dt or Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the final velocity which is 326
BUt I can't find the force.

How can I find the maximum height without knowing the angle

Physics news on Phys.org
And what's actually the formula for average power.
I doubt P = Fv is right

Can anyone help me ? :(

Thank you...

FAQ: Calculating Power and Range of a Bullet

1. How is the power of a bullet calculated?

The power of a bullet is calculated by multiplying its weight (in grains) by its velocity (in feet per second), and then dividing that number by 7000. This will give the bullet's power in foot-pounds.

2. What is the formula for calculating the range of a bullet?

The formula for calculating the range of a bullet is: Range = Velocity^2 x sin(2 x Angle of Elevation) / Acceleration due to Gravity

3. What factors can affect the power and range of a bullet?

The power and range of a bullet can be affected by various factors such as the weight and shape of the bullet, the velocity and angle at which it is fired, atmospheric conditions (such as wind and air density), and the accuracy of the firearm.

4. Can the power and range of a bullet be increased?

Yes, the power and range of a bullet can be increased by using a heavier or more aerodynamic bullet, increasing the velocity of the bullet, and using a firearm with higher accuracy and precision.

5. How are power and range calculations used in ballistics?

Power and range calculations are important in ballistics as they help determine the effectiveness and accuracy of a bullet, as well as its potential impact on a target. These calculations are also used to optimize firearm and ammunition designs for maximum performance.

Back