Power Factor and Resonant Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving resistances, reactances, and resonant frequency. The power factor is calculated using the formula for true power and apparent power. For part b), the formula for resonant frequency is used to find the frequency, but the addition of a resistance in part b) ii causes the formula to become invalid and a new solution must be found. Part a) i raises a question about the type of resistance given in the problem.
eximius

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4462/40230468.jpg

Homework Equations

Power Factor = True Power / Apparent Power

f = 1 / (2*pi*root(LC))

Z = root(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2) = R

The Attempt at a Solution

a)i) 1? Because it's purely resistive, but this surely can't be right, because it's 4 marks.

ii to iv) no idea

b)i)

f = 1 / (2*pi*root(LC))
f = 64.97 Hz

b)ii) I don't see how the raise in resistance effects the frequency as the resonant frequency formula doesn't contain R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part b) i, you are using the a formula that comes about based on some derivations from original principles (resistances in parallel), which works because there is only two reactive elements and no resistance.

For part b) ii, you have a resistance, and thus this formula is not valid for this circuit configuration.

Try to algebraically calculate the equivalent circuit resistance, rationalize the denominator and solve for 'w' based on resonance principles, and you will see where your original formula comes from (when you make R = 0), and you will be able to find the new frequency (now that R != 0).

For part a) i, What do you call a resistance that has magnitude and angle? You are given 3.5[tex]\angle25[/tex] in the question.

1. What is power factor and why is it important?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently electrical power is being used. It represents the ratio of real power (used to perform useful work) to apparent power (total power supplied to a circuit). A high power factor indicates efficient use of electricity, while a low power factor can result in higher energy costs and strain on the electrical grid.

2. How is power factor calculated?

Power factor is calculated by dividing the real power (measured in watts) by the apparent power (measured in volt-amperes). The result is a number between 0 and 1, with 1 representing a perfect power factor. For example, if a circuit has a real power of 100 watts and an apparent power of 120 volt-amperes, the power factor would be 0.83 (100/120).

3. What is resonant frequency and how does it relate to power factor?

Resonant frequency is the frequency at which an electrical circuit naturally vibrates. In the case of power factor, it refers to the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive components of a circuit cancel each other out, resulting in a power factor of 1. This is known as the resonant frequency, and operating a circuit at this frequency can improve power factor and reduce energy costs.

4. How can power factor be improved?

Power factor can be improved by adding power factor correction devices, such as capacitors, to the circuit. These devices offset the inductive load and bring the power factor closer to 1. Additionally, using energy-efficient equipment and reducing excessive use of motors and transformers can also help improve power factor.

5. What are the benefits of maintaining a high power factor?

Maintaining a high power factor can result in several benefits, including lower energy costs, reduced strain on the electrical grid, and increased efficiency of electrical equipment. It can also help prevent voltage drops and improve the overall stability and reliability of the electrical system.