Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Power(hp) needed for climbing an inclined plane

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    how much power(hp) would a 1-ton tracked vehicle need to climb 40° hills at 10kph. I know that this isn't exactly a physics question but I know that solving it involves physics to a certain extent.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is completely a physics question, but it is of a form where it is required, on this forum, that you make some effort on your own. What is your background? What is your need to figure this out? I assume you are implying that this is not a homework question.

4. Mar 26, 2017 #3
    I am sorry for my lack (no) of content in describing the need for this question- the reason for which it that I didn't have much time to post it- and error that I will rectify now. The reason that I posted this is because I am building a 1:4 recreation of an M4 Sherman tank- of course, it won't be nearly as heavy as the real thing- but still a formidable 1000 lb. I want to equip it with an internal combustion gasoline engine and I would like to know the power needed for it.

5. Mar 26, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think that's a lot more complicated that your fairly straight-forward question suggests. You'll have to take into account the efficiency of transfer of power from the engine to the treads at the very least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted